Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: Venison meat hunting in NZ in the past

I really should get dads photos scanned. He has some neat ones of those days, deer on horses, huts, trout etc.

I should see if he has any meat dockets from those days. He probably doesn't. I think they used to supply false names to avoid the tax

I didn't know it at the time in circa 1971 but I took this pic for @NIMROD.

Name:  Picture702.jpeg
Views: 558
Size:  15.1 KB
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I was doing my building apprentice then in 1970.$26/wk for 44hrs aweek.Id sooner be payed hunting.
    Tahr and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    The tax went on when labour come into power.
    From my memory it was Piggy Muldoon when he was finance minister about '71/72.

I remember sitting on top of 3 stags above to slip up the Aniwaniwa valley, looking down at the landrover at Riddifords hut and saying to the father in law, I'd like to get that fat short arse up here to hump them down there and take 25% off him.

But you adapt and all my vehicle and hunting expenses were tax deductible with little bookwork.
    Tahr, tetawa, Moa Hunter and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamehunter View Post

I remember sitting on top of 3 stags above to slip up the Aniwaniwa valley, looking down at the landrover at Riddifords hut and saying to the father in law, I'd like to get that fat short arse up here to hump them down there and take 25% off him.

But you adapt and all my vehicle and hunting expenses were tax deductible with little bookwork.
    Piggy was all for encouraging the money flowing back to nz from overseas. So still say it was labour, they will find a way to tax sex with your wife one day.

Quote Originally Posted by HG Man View Post
    Food safety rules kinda killed it, but its on the way back. MPI has a system where if you pass a food safety test, you can supply butchers. I don't know costs, but I know a guy who does it in the middle of the North Island.

You have to find the butcher yourself though.
    Has got to be an approved game processor and you have to have a contract to supply, with appropriate training on game animal treatment, to gain MPI accreditation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamehunter View Post

Withholding tax must have come in 1974 as there is no tax on this docket.

Name:  Meat docket 1973 001 (002).jpg
Views: 519
Size:  394.8 KB
    Tahr, Trout, 6x47 and 10 others like this.

I left school in 1973, that receipt was 4 months work for me... I wish I had been involved in the venison and particularly possum skin industry. Well done Gamehunter.
    norsk likes this.

wow $493 in a day would have been good money back then??
    6x47 likes this.

A couple of questions for those that were there. What is the "weight" representative of, meat only, meat on bone? Would it be fair to say given the measure was weight that reds were the focus? I guess why would you target sika for example if this was the measure?
    "Death - our community's number one killer"

if it was a deer it got shot and sold..reds were by far the most common animals around..fallow were in small pockets...and in some cases VERY small pockets,mostly on private land..heck it was still that way 35 years ago.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    A couple of questions for those that were there. What is the "weight" representative of, meat only, meat on bone? Would it be fair to say given the measure was weight that reds were the focus? I guess why would you target sika for example if this was the measure?
    the weight is skin on and lungs heart and liver all attached to carcass - that offal was required to sell carcass - was checked at factory - much earlier ( 60,s) we could sell what were called pin bone hindquarters - this was whole skin with hindquarters attached and the back bone with back steak attached - one carried a small saw and cut the ribs of just out from back steak - was quite a good way to sell really - could carry two pin boned deer on a pack frame -the biggest red stag I know of that was sold was 404 lb and was shot at top of east coast - most stags we sold from Te Urewera were only in the 180 lb class by comparison - was a big stag in there to go 200 lb

Those 3 were "head off, no offal, hocks off but sinews attached"

No TB problems back then.

mpf
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post

Red deer ,sika ,fallow ,rusa and samba ,hindquarters only ,deer cut in half ,whole deer clean shot ,body shot ,arse shot ,rolled down hills ,floated down creeks and flysprayed with coopers odourless ,they took the lot.
    Micky Duck, norsk, BSA270 and 1 others like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x45 View Post
    Here's some of the last good days.

Loved it @ $8.10/kg for headshots 45-64kg range.

More deer about in places they shouldn't have got to now this market has been removed. Now we see more funding getting thrown at controlling deer... gotta wonder about all that.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Attachment 230146
    Attachment 230147
    $5 drafting fee for a dead deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk