Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: Venison meat hunting in NZ in the past

I guess they were drafting the moving mechanical rice off the meat???? the horror stories are many and colourful
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by mpf View Post
    Red deer ,sika ,fallow ,rusa and samba ,hindquarters only ,deer cut in half ,whole deer clean shot ,body shot ,arse shot ,rolled down hills ,floated down creeks and flysprayed with coopers odourless ,they took the lot.
    yes they did but that did not last that long and we had to sell with heart lungs and liver attached - but for those who are younger and did not go thru those days it did not last long - the days we could go out shoot deer and sell them sadly went - same as the goat boom and bloody ostriches and emus - we need the selling of venison back again but sadly the bloody greenies and do gooders have possibly stopped that -it was motivating to lump a 140 lb deer out knowing that it was $1 dollar a pound and ones weekly wage was $20

Thanks for sharing, what an era to have lived
    caberslash likes this.

mpf
    Velvet only tripName:  P1020075.JPG
Views: 523
Size:  141.5 KB
    7mmsaum, TeRei, Moa Hunter and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Yep, can remember getting fuckall per week as an apprentice mechanic, could earn about a months wages for a Saturday or weekend hunting.
    $16 per week as an apprentice mechanic in 1968. Deer sold at about $30 each. Good money.

Quote Originally Posted by sore head stoat View Post
    I left school in 1973, that receipt was 4 months work for me... I wish I had been involved in the venison and particularly possum skin industry. Well done Gamehunter.
    I built a 100 M2 house back then fo $19k not inc the $4k section. $500 was a lot of money.
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Used to sell hares to Paddy OBrien in Masterton for 5 shillings / 50 cents each in the 60s. Had a notched belt dragging behind me that I attached them to. Paid for ammo and petrol. I used to earn 17/6pence at a hardware store, working after school during the week.
    norsk and BSA270 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Talked to Don Gregory who ran a chiller in Mangaweka and Frank Tickner who ran a chiller in Napier about the state of deer which used to get delivered. Some of the stories were an absolute crack up.
    BSA270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Talked to Don Gregory who ran a chiller in Mangaweka and Frank Tickner who ran a chiller in Napier about the state of deer which used to get delivered. Some of the stories were an absolute crack up.
    mate and I lumped a big old boar and a small stag out of the Waioeka gorge - took a while to get the deer so the pig smelled well off basically when we got to road next day - definetly whiffy - soaked it in creek for an hour and straight up to freezer at Matawai - put in with some other pigs and tagged it - went back about a week later and bugger me cheque there for it - I would not have eaten it - usually did not bother to much with pigs as not worth much but they did offset the tax one had to pay on deer - and its was always R Muldoon or B Crump- H.I. Noon was a favourite - anybody but me - was not always good news though - another mate and I got free heli trip into remote area Ruakituri - shot 9 and had them on two pads ready to fly out - our pilot mate was two days late and we lost 6 to flystrike - it would have been good to have the portable deer safes around now - we had mutton clothe but really not that good even with fern stuffed inside to try and get space around deer - f@&*%n blow flys
    BSA270 likes this.

Name:  IMG_20230803_193629.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  2.41 MB
    Here's a letter from Mair Venison about what was required when dropping an animal off at the meat safe.
    From what I recall you didn't get payed for the weight of the skin, offal or head. This was in the mid 90 s
    woods223, BSA270 and caberslash like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crekyhills View Post
    Attachment 230329
    Here's a letter from Mair Venison about what was required when dropping an animal off at the meat safe.
    From what I recall you didn't get payed for the weight of the skin, offal or head. This was in the mid 90 s
    yes the pesticide declaration - now I might have the facts slightly wrong as to who was at fault -its a while ago - but I remember the shit hitting the fan when a seller got all clear from landowner -sold deer with a clear pesticide declaration - but brodifacoum (talon)had been used next door or on the property and Manager failed to inform or did not know contractors doing possum control had been there - turned up in the meat

A couple of sales dockets, sometimes good sometimes badName:  IMG_20230803_193657.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  2.17 MB

Name:  IMG_20230803_193721.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  2.23 MBName:  IMG_20230803_193721.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  2.23 MB
    Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crekyhills View Post
    A couple of sales dockets, sometimes good sometimes badAttachment 230331
    Ya should have been given a fkkin medal not taxed to hell, just filthy animals taxing poor old meathunters, while they build themselves a beehive with your money.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Would occassionally not find a deer when shot spotlighting until the next morning. Guts in all night. Bit smelly when gutted. Full bottle of vinegar in the gut cavity and around attached offal usually got rid of any smell then off to the chiller. Usually went through ok - no rejects.
    TeRei, Maca49, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.