Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: WHEN THINGs GO WRONG AND YOU END UP PUTTING YOUR LIFE ON THE LINE

Quote Originally Posted by 57jl View Post
    yes it is not a cheap place to fly into anymore compared to what it used to cost when we went in 6 hunters flew out which makes for hard hunting with all that human smell around if I recover ok and can walk alright I can go back for a look my mate has been hunting that block every year for the last 44 years cost us $980 each this time for a 7 day booking for fly in and hut fees this time then there is food and travel costs etc on top of that, he rebooks the same time every year and if you don't it is hard to get back in the place.so for the cost i think you would be hard out hunting to get your moneys worth not searching for someones great. i have come to terms with losing that gear shit happens I need to concentrate on my leg now and do my best to recover i am 66 at the end of the month so not a spring chicken anymore the break is just above my titanium and plastic knee joint that was done 2 years ago so the challenge is not an easy one this time around to get everything bending and moving as it should in my right leg my misses reconds I am banned from going hunting anymore I got news for her
    Don't know about now as have given it a miss since "Air Charter" lost the blocks. The popular ones with huts used to be fully booked for 10 months of the year. Animals had more pressure on them than the public arena.
    7mmwsm and RugerM77 like this.

Hope you have a speedy recovery , and thanks for sharing that experience.

It’s so easy to misjudge the weather when it’s nice and sunny but shit can happen so quickly out there . I remember when I was in my early 20s going out on a sunny day in a dinghy only to have the wind turning super cold and had bad hypothermia. Luckily my mate was there and got us back safely.
    57jl likes this.

mate... what a shocker! Glad You're 'ok' - you got yourself through quite an ordeal & with the help of some awesome people you get to tell your story. I'm a solo bush hunter & reading this makes me realise how inadequate my own emergency preparations are & how lucky i've been to date. i hope your recovery goes well ..you know the drill already eh, & i hope you find something to help pass the time. cheers for the wake up call & Safe hunting everyone.
    57jl and Ranger 888 like this.

Thanks for sharing your story. Always good to reflect and learn from mistakes.

Speedy recovery mate!
    57jl likes this.

Oh man, that's nightmare material.
    I recently lost a pouch that I had on the waist belt of my day pack. Didn't notice until I started making my way home.
    Despite retracing my steps and checking where I had taken my daypack off for a rest/drink etc, didn't find it.
    Went back a week later with my son. Got to the first river and sat down after crossing it to have a quick rest before the next climb.
    Looked across at my boy, He was damn near sitting on it.
    Camo gear lying in the open on a river bed, I had literally walked over it twice without seeing it despite actively looking for it.
    Claim insurance (if you can)

Get well soon.
    stingray and 57jl like this.

57JL
    Hi has anyone seen or had a look at the chest pack for carrying essential safety gear that the BUSH LIFE website has on special this weekend?