Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By 6.5 CRD

Thread: 16 inch 270win?

16 inch 270win?

Hey fellas,

Anyone out there chopped a 270 to 16 inches? If so what speeds were you getting?

I’ve got one cut to 18 still driving a 145 eldx at 2925fps so figured another couple of inches off might see me somewhere in the mid 2800s. I’m trying to sell it at the moment but if I have no luck thought I might experiment a little.

And before all you ‘traditionalists’ pipe up… yes I know it isn’t necessary, but the voices in my head are saying cut it again…

I assume it has/will have a can on it?

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I assume it has/will have a can on it?
    Well I do have a terminator break that would fit… but yea probably a suppressor. Steel one that can handle a good bit of muzzle blast

Ran a 17" barrel on a 270 in Browning BAR with a DPT overbarrel, still use the suppressor but "plod" claimed the rifle.-

Quote Originally Posted by Missalot View Post
    Hey fellas,

Anyone out there chopped a 270 to 16 inches? If so what speeds were you getting?

I’ve got one cut to 18 still driving a 145 eldx at 2925fps so figured another couple of inches off might see me somewhere in the mid 2800s. I’m trying to sell it at the moment but if I have no luck thought I might experiment a little.

And before all you ‘traditionalists’ pipe up… yes I know it isn’t necessary, but the voices in my head are saying cut it again…
    Do it and get back to us... following with interest.😁

Not a 270. I have a 243 with a 14.5* barrel. Should be a disaster. But no, it doesn't care about peoples opinions and keeps bowling animals. It's also more accurate than it ever was at 21. If you accept risking it being not what you imagined then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Missalot View Post
    Well I do have a terminator break that would fit… but yea probably a suppressor. Steel one that can handle a good bit of muzzle blast
    My ears hurt just reading that.... I suggest it would inflict immediate permanent damage to hearing of any bystanders without good ear pro.
    Cowboy, BSA270, TimC and 1 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Greetings,
    The little voice in the back of my head is telling me someone is taking the piss here. 2,925 fps with the 145 grain in an 18" barrel? Was that chronographed or just imagined? Most load data developed in a pressure barrel rather than on a computer keyboard barely gets that in a 24' barrel.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    The little voice in the back of my head is telling me someone is taking the piss here. 2,925 fps with the 145 grain in an 18" barrel? Was that chronographed or just imagined? Most load data developed in a pressure barrel rather than on a computer keyboard barely gets that in a 24' barrel.
    GPM.
    Supreformance with the 145 eldx will get you over 2900 with an 18 inch barrel in the 270. 57 or 58grns off the top of my head. Same load the duleys were using in their 270s in the show.

would not that short be damn tuff on the can just asking certainly would not like to fire it without but as others await the results with interest

Im also curiously watching as im thinking about cutting one to 16inch too. May not be so good with longer range shots but im keen to try it and find out. Will definitely be suppressing it haha

GRT suggests if your at 2925fps currently with a 18" bbl, cutting it to 16" will slow it down ALOT, somewhere in the vicinity of 2800-2815 depending on what powder your using, one would assume/hope if your seeing 2925 you would have to be using something like RL26 or Superformance to get there, If not your certainly going to blow yourself up.

No doubt plenty of others will chime in and you may already be aware but 2925fps from a 18" is well over maximum SAAMI pressure no matter the powder/combination used.
    dannyb and grandpamac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    GPM.
    Haha, nope no piss taking here. Chronographed, verified on range and deer flattened out to 500yd with this load. @Blackfern is spot on, 58gr of superformance in a tikka chamber, recipe supplied by Sir Duley himself. Couple of grains less needed in most other chambers to get to the same pressure he reckons.
    You wouldn’t happen to be one of those traditionalists I mentioned would you GPM??

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    would not that short be damn tuff on the can just asking certainly would not like to fire it without but as others await the results with interest
    Yea most cans would be torn to bit pretty quick I reckon. Using one of Waitaki engineering’s steel ones, he made them for short barrel AR15s so pretty tough (and heavy). Have been using it since I chopped the first 4 inches off it so can’t see 2 more hurting it..

STC
    An inefficient cartridge like a 270 with a short barrel would likely reault in a Flamethrower? Wouldnt use it in dry conditions.

Id run a few calculations in GRT first...