Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 280 AI Tikka T3

I believe that 284 is mean't to be less of a barrel burner, which for a hunting rifle may not be a problem, but if you shoot targets or steel will start to become more of an issue.

I'd go for what ever was going to give me the least issues regarding brass prep.
    284 can be necked up from 6.5-284 Lapua brass which is readily available, and you should be able to get a chamber cut for this so that requires no neck turning.
    280 brass seems to be available from Norma and Hornday but will need firefroming for 280ai (obviously) which I personally couldn't be bothered doing.

I know neck turning and fire forming is a once off operation, but to me brass prep is boring and a pain in the ass.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I believe that 284 is mean't to be less of a barrel burner, which for a hunting rifle may not be a problem, but if you shoot targets or steel will start to become more of an issue.

I'd go for what ever was going to give me the least issues regarding brass prep.
    284 can be necked up from 6.5-284 Lapua brass which is readily available, and you should be able to get a chamber cut for this so that requires no neck turning.
    280 brass seems to be available from Norma and Hornday but will need firefroming for 280ai (obviously) which I personally couldn't be bothered doing.

I know neck turning and fire forming is a once off operation, but to me brass prep is boring and a pain in the ass.
    My mate has a 280AI and uses Nosler 280AI brass, so no need to fireform if you want to fork out the pingas for that.

In my recent experience, not matter what reamer spec you use for 284 Win, if you are necking 6.5x284 brass up, you really should have them turned (see my recent thread in the Reloading section) It is a one off operation, and its not that hard if you have the gear.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Camo WSM current barrel length is 18 inches. Man some bloody good info on here! I think I might go with the 284 purely for seating bullets out longer. do the 284s benefit from a longer barrel at all? or do they like the short ones? Fps for 284 140 gr and 280 ai 140 gr? anyone got that info?

Quote Originally Posted by George22 View Post
    Camo WSM current barrel length is 18 inches. Man some bloody good info on here! I think I might go with the 284 purely for seating bullets out longer. do the 284s benefit from a longer barrel at all? or do they like the short ones? Fps for 284 140 gr and 280 ai 140 gr? anyone got that info?
    Run the 162 amax / eldx bro they kill so well and hit very hard.

With longer barrel you get more speed but short barrels are much better 90% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by George22 View Post
    Sounds like your rifle could be perfect for a short .284 conversion as is mate just get it reamed to .284
    puku, buzzman and GWH like this.

Yea could be but Im coming across some money soon and figured I'd spend some money. Probably wont go carbon barrel anymore after some info kindly passed on on here. so only looking at a match grade barrel instead.
    199p likes this.

280AI brass is available from both Nosler & Norma, no fireforming, GTG

Necking up 6.5-284 will result in donuts, not an issue if the projectiles are throated long, otherwise its an issue.

as other have stated 280AI brass is available off the shelf but a tad pricey, and you can simply use 280 ammo in a 280AI no issues at all (unless you've got some crazy neck tolerances). So you can use factory 280 ammo for your bush loads & get fired formed brass "for free". I think your biggest decision is long action vs short/medium action. What ever you build you'll have to hand load to get long range performance.

Hmmm never knew 280ai factory brass existed, would certainly be a big plus for me.

I used 280ai brass and it's good but owning both calibres id go back to 284 in a heartbeat. Easy to load, cheap to run, efficient as and cool.
    I had a ultralight Mk5 long action think at 22". It threw the 140 around fast as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.
    Dan M

Hmmm never knew 280ai factory brass existed, would certainly be a big plus for me.
    I have both Nosler & Norma 280 AI brass available.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I used 280ai brass and it's good but owning both calibres id go back to 284 in a heartbeat. Easy to load, cheap to run, efficient as and cool.
    I had a ultralight Mk5 long action think at 22". It threw the 140 around fast as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah u sold it to me . 20 in bbl, I then changed the stock over to a STUG & shaved off another 1/2lb and the groups shrunk..... "never sell a good rifle".
    GWH and Danny like this.

Another vote for .284 from me.
    No problem with mag length and ballistics the same as .280.
    I'm going with a 20" barrel, DPT, 162 ELD-X and 2213sc.
    Will have it throated long as Greg says and will neck turn to just into the shoulder to limit donuts.
    As far as I can see Gunworks are the only ones that will ream T3 barrels (anybody know of others?).

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo View Post
    Another vote for .284 from me.
    No problem with mag length and ballistics the same as .280.
    I'm going with a 20" barrel, DPT, 162 ELD-X and 2213sc.
    Will have it throated long as Greg says and will neck turn to just into the shoulder to limit donuts.
    As far as I can see Gunworks are the only ones that will ream T3 barrels (anybody know of others?).
    Yep the 284 with 162g bullets seated out long to the optimal place is perfectly suited to T3 LA mag. Custom Throated to suit obviously.

I'm really happy with how mines worked out. Gunworks rechambered it.

I've settled on the 162g Amax at 2750fps for great accuracy.

Holds 1000 ft-lb to 850 yards. Pretty good from a 17" barrel and 52.5gr of powder.

2 shots at 300

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk