Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 300_BLK
  • 2 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By csmiffy

Thread: 6.8 SPC

6.8 SPC

Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge?

I was looking at a short barrel 16" max length for a 0-200m cartridge.

This comes to mind along with 300 BLK and the good old 308 for lighter deer species.
    Shearer likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

its dying a slow death
    mate had a mini14 back when it was getting hyped and even then bullets were expensive and hard to find
    very hard to sell
    I hated it personally but that was more the rifle than the caliber
    what usefull bullets would there be for it? most would be designed for 270win velocity I imagine

110gr ttsx and accubond
    Warm Barrels!

Gone but not forgotten
    120gn sst was is for 6.8 spc i think

6mm ARC would be the way to go, it does seem like the 6.8spc will cease to exist in the future.
    Jaco Goosen and caberslash like this.

there are plenty of projectiles for it......any .277 under 130 and loads of the sub hundy grain were made to suit this cartridge.... its similar to and fills similar niche to the latte drinkers cartridge of choice....
    few guys in states are having a ball using it on hogs ,deer and other critters.

Used to have an AR with the SPCII chamber; dropped a couple of fallow and plenty of goats. I've contemplated the idea of doing a 6.8 Mini action as I still have all the reloading gear and a lot of brass.

It's an effective round, but was hampered by the incorrect chamber drawings being submitted to SAAMI (SPC), resulting in less than ideal performance when it was released to market. The original chamber specs (designed by the US AMU) are known as the SPC II; allows slightly higher pressure loadings and thus better performance. However, most commercial ammo was loaded to SPC specs.

The 90gr Speer Gold Dots work very well, and are the projectile used in the military contract ammo (XM68GD). The 110gr TTSX, 110gr Accubond, 120gr SST, and 110gr HPBT (Hornady) are also solid choices.

To be honest though, I'd go for a 6.5 Grendel; better ballistics, good range of projectile choices, and it's proven. The 6mm ARC looks to be a good choice too, especially with the SOCOM adoption, but the current market options are still limited and shorter barrel performance is still TBD (SOCOM are running 18").

if going to do custom build......could just as easy go .277/08 and be diferent,no need to drink soy latte could stick to regular double shot long white.
    Brother had a "of fcuk" moment other night.chambered round in 7mm mag and didnt fire and wouldnt eject....when finally got it out...... 308 headstamp....had picked up one wrong round in haste.......comment was "just as well hadnt done so in .270" makes a fells start to think about multiple rifle cartridges being used together...like 20ga and 12ga shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if going to do custom build......could just as easy go .277/08 and be diferent,no need to drink soy latte could stick to regular double shot long white.
    Brother had a "of fcuk" moment other night.chambered round in 7mm mag and didnt fire and wouldnt eject....when finally got it out...... 308 headstamp....had picked up one wrong round in haste.......comment was "just as well hadnt done so in .270" makes a fells start to think about multiple rifle cartridges being used together...like 20ga and 12ga shotguns.
    You mean basically a 7mm-08? lol. Surely someone has done just that. A 270 on a 308 case i mean
    Even a 270 in the 7mm rem mag might be a OF moment but at least the projectile is smaller. If he had a 3006 and it managed to feed/chamber (could it?) and it went bad, That could be very bad i would think
    Micky Duck likes this.

I would say I remember a guy getting a box of ammo from a retailer for 30-06 and it was spraying them all over the show at 100mtrs at the hand loaders range in chch. Turns out it was a box of 270 rounds in a 30-06 outer. Like someone must have being comparing the 2 rounds side by side at the store and accidentally put the 2 in each others boxs.

yes there are a few 277 / 08s out in circulation....