Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Advice needed

Advice needed

I'm looking at buying an older rifle and it has 1" rings and I've only used 30mm before.
    Is this going to hold me back, or should I budget for replacing the rings too?
    My understanding is that the smaller the tube, the narrower the field of vision is. Correct me if I'm wrong!
    The chap seemed to think it would be more difficult to find good rings to fit it (order in from gun city or something)
    It is a savage 110. Older .270 with wooden stock.
    Chairs.

If its a 270 you would be better off to forget the scope and just throw the rifle at the target
    Tables.
    7mm Rem Mag and XR500 like this.

Thanks.... That's extremely helpful.
    Gibo likes this.

Greetings,
    I don't think that is right but check the scopes specs to be sure. Large tube scopes often have more adjustment range though and a larger objective lens will give a larger exit pupil at the same power setting, only useful if your eyes can use it. If you are looking at an older rifle then an older style 1 inch scope may be a better match.
    GPM.
    Oldbloke and BushChook like this.

Feild of view, and light gathering are not governed by the scope tube size. If you have a 30mm scope to fit to the rifle, then simply get a set of 30mm rings to fit, can probably assume the Savage has picatinny/Weaver type bases so shouldnt be too difficult. Or if you are looking to buy a scope for it, then theres plenty of good scopes with 1" tubes.
    Micky Duck and BushChook like this.

the rings on it will be fine a 2x7 or 3x9x40mm loopy will see you right up close and in dim light.... never used 30mm tube,cannot for life of me see a need for them.
    .270w is great..... Gibo just secretly wants one.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the rings on it will be fine a 2x7 or 3x9x40mm loopy will see you right up close and in dim light.... never used 30mm tube,cannot for life of me see a need for them.
    .270w is great..... Gibo just secretly wants one.
    Nah, never looked back after flicking it on, it did ok though I suppose
    Micky Duck likes this.

.270 king of calibers as is 25-06 just kill and do the job
    Micky Duck, JoelA, RUMPY and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    .270 king of calibers as is 25-06 just kill and do the job
    Are you familiar with the 7x57/275 Rigby?

Been killing game up to elephant size since the late 1800's, such a good cal they felt the need to make an almost ballistic replica 100 years later in the 7mm08!

To the OP, I use a 30mm tube on one of two scoped rifles I have and I don't see myself ever changing it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

yeah I would use 7x57 a caliber that never really took off in NZ - yup has a proud history on game - 275 Rigby cant comment on know nothing about it - I don't reload so stick to calibers I can get ammo for anywhere 308 270 been my go to - and have always had ammo supplied for those so why change

I asked for scope advice, thanks to all who gave it.
    Really don't care about each of your personal calibre preferences, you guys do you!
    Oldbloke likes this.

all good clean fun but your question - a lot of info out there and back on this forum on your query
    Last edited by Barry the hunter; 15-04-2024 at 09:19 PM.
    BushChook likes this.

all good clean fun but your question - a lot of info out there and back on this forum on your query
    It's all good. Every calibre has its pros and cons.
    This thread isn't about that though and I do appreciate the advice regarding the scope.
    If I grab the rifle I'll keep the rings on it and find a scope to fit it.

yeah 30 mm will add a bit more weight field of view well for years I used a 1.5-5 compact leupold never moved from 2.5 for the field of view - same as I used a 2.5 leupold fixed power culling again for field of view - most of my scopes dont move from 3x for again field of view and quick shots - I hunt farm scrub country and 150 m is a long shot - most fallow I shoot are within 80 metre but if I was hunting south Island high country well then I would revisit what scope

yeah 30 mm will add a bit more weight field of view well for years I used a 1.5-5 compact leupold never moved from 2.5 for the field of view - same as I used a 2.5 leupold fixed power culling again for field of view - most of my scopes dont move from 3x for again field of view and quick shots - I hunt farm scrub country and 150 m is a long shot - most fallow I shoot are within 80 metre but if I was hunting south Island high country well then I would revisit what scope
    Yep, this setup will be used for wallabies in open hills up to 500 yards, and might go after goats and thar on mountain tops I frequent for work.