Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Tahrzan
  • 1 Post By huntsika
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Tahrzan
  • 3 Post By charliehorse

Thread: Advice on price - ruger 22-250

Advice on price - ruger 22-250

Hey
    I’m after a bit of advice on a price for a rifle I’m looking at selling. I have a couple mates interested otherwise I’ll offer it in the buy sell section but wanted to get an idea of value before I considered selling. I’ve had it for 15+ years and have shot quite a few deer with it, it’s one of those rifles that only ever needed sighted in once. So if it wasn’t worth a lot I’d probably keep it for sentimental value.

It’s a ruger mk 1 m77 22-250. When I bought it, it had just been rebarrelled but as I was young etc I don’t even know what breed the replacement barrel is… all it has is 22-250 engraved by hand on it. Bought from Christchurch so possibly not a lot of gunsmiths that rebarelled around there then?

Approx 200 round count
    Will go with rings and scope
    Anyway any help will be appreciated

Cheers

Name:  1CBFA30F-DBC8-4B8D-ADDD-24738DDBD524.jpeg
Views: 348
Size:  92.4 KBName:  61B11C96-1D9A-47D7-8BD7-C964D7ABC886.jpeg
Views: 352
Size:  86.5 KBAttachment 177648
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    csmiffy likes this.

Nice one. That one has the shotgun type tang safety?
    One of my rellies had one of them.

Looks like a nice Ruger 77 in good working condition. Ruger 77 Mark 1 wood blues (unlike Tikkas!) don’t seem to demand drug prices on resale. I’d put it at $750 with rings only (with -$100 for an easy sale (and mates rates) or +$100 if you want to run the risk of it sitting around for a while).

I’d sell the scope (which likes a half decent Bushnell 3200 or similar?) separately - second hand scopes seems to have jumped up quite a bit recently- it might be worth $250 to 350 itself.

Or $950 for the lot?

Fair and reasonable… Guncity or whoever would be 50% more!

As yours has been rebarrelled it has hopefully dealt with some of the issues earlier 77’s (such as this one with a red pad) had with dunga third party barrel suppliers.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Nice one. That one has the shotgun type tang safety?
    One of my rellies had one of them.
    Yea mate top safety. One of the reasons why I bought it originally
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntsika View Post
    Looks like a nice Ruger 77 in good working condition. Ruger 77 Mark 1 wood blues (unlike Tikkas!) don’t seem to demand drug prices on resale. I’d put it at $750 with rings only (with -$100 for an easy sale (and mates rates) or +$100 if you want to run the risk of it sitting around for a while).

I’d sell the scope (which likes a half decent Bushnell 3200 or similar?) separately - second hand scopes seems to have jumped up quite a bit recently- it might be worth $250 to 350 itself.

Or $950 for the lot?

Fair and reasonable… Guncity or whoever would be 50% more!

As yours has been rebarrelled it has hopefully dealt with some of the issues earlier 77’s (such as this one with a red pad) had with dunga third party barrel suppliers.
    Thanks!
    It is a bushnell 3200, probably more likely to be scratched in the safe rather than on the hill these days.. interesting you say they’ve jumped in value, I’ve always considered them a good entry level scope and never had any issues with ones I’ve had in the past.
    Cheers for your advice on price, and knowledge on the mk1’s. Appreciated

I sold the same model in .243 to a mate for his son to shoot whitetails as his first rifle. Cheap scope and parkerised steel. Let it go for $500.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosts View Post
    I sold the same model in .243 to a mate for his son to shoot whitetails as his first rifle. Cheap scope and parkerised steel. Let it go for $500.
    This ones shot a few whitetail. If that’s all it’s worth I’ll just hold onto it.
    That’s the feedback I’m after though
    Cheers

these rifles like the screw tension to be correct...or have been known to shoot not so good.
    the above price estimate is fair....the biggest issue is 2nd hand you are competeing with brandnew lesser brands with package deals at $800ish
    that looks like an awesome rifle,neat calibre.
    Tahrzan likes this.

I think around that700-800 dollars for rifle and rings would be a good price, has a low round count and looks in good nick. What's the accuracy like ? Most 250's shoot well. I had a 7 mm rem Mag in that model loved the shotgun style safety, good luck with your sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    I think around that700-800 dollars for rifle and rings would be a good price, has a low round count and looks in good nick. What's the accuracy like ? Most 250's shoot well. I had a 7 mm rem Mag in that model loved the shotgun style safety, good luck with your sale.
    Thanks. Originally I had thought possibly $800 including everything or $700 mates/forum but wasn’t entirely sure so thought I’d ask the question first. It shoots really well although I’ve only ever shot to about 200m with it so couldn’t comment on any further than that. I really do like the top safety for sure but I have 2 x 22-250’s and a 223 so wanted to free up some room in the gun room.
    Cheers

Also thanks to the people that have messaged and offered advice on price and even taught me a few things about it.
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

Don't sell it, you'll regret it. Get a bigger safe or something, you've got an emotional attachment and your reason for sale isn't good enough. That's my advice but what would I know