Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Puffin
  • 2 Post By witchcraft
  • 1 Post By Scott Cowan
  • 4 Post By Beetroot

Thread: Barrel reprofile

Barrel reprofile

Has anyone had (or done) a barrel reprofile lately? If so who did it and cost? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Has anyone had (or done) a barrel reprofile lately? If so who did it and cost? Thanks
    @Tentman ?
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Yes, interested in this too, taking a medium Palma down to something more "sporting", No.3 or 4.
    Din Collings was the one wasn't he — used to start out with all those Douglas straight blanks sitting up in the racks and presumably spend hours of every re-barrelling job whittling them down to whatever you wanted.
    m101a1 likes this.

Lately? Not so lately, but Mitch Maxberry did mine, including threading and cutting down I’m sure it cost just under $500. Most gunsmiths I contacted wouldn’t give me a price and said they’d charge by the hour for the turning down.

I contacted Truflite about reprofiling a used heavy competition barrel into a sporter weight barrel. They said they would do it for what I thought was a relatively low cost but only to a Truflite barrel. An alternative would be to reprofile it on a lathe if you had access to one with a long enough bed, big enough spindle bore and slow enough speed. There is a post on the internet of how this is done. The resulting ridges are finished off with a belt sander. https://rifleshooter.com/2016/01/tur...-from-a-blank/

True Flite did my Howa match barrel 6 months ago, warned be that they couldn't guarantee it would still be as accurate, they did a prefect job for a very reasonable price
    stagstalker and Scott Cowan like this.

I’ve had 2 done by Truflite over the past 5years, great job and I was surprised at the low cost. Can’t remember what I paid but I do remember being surprised. The guys down there do great work with good customer service too. Can’t say that about all the options can we guys.
    stagstalker likes this.

I'm not surprised guys won't do it or atleast won't offer an accuracy guarantee.
    Some barrel makers don't even recommend fluting barrels as weird stresses can be released from a button rifled barrel.
    Philipo, Tentman, zimmer and 1 others like this.