Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Best 30 cal 150gn - modest velocity

Best 30 cal 150gn - modest velocity

Gidday Folks

Maybe some of you recall the "short single shot 330-30" thread. Well mine is now up and running, it's a TC Contender with a 17" long 1:8 twist barrel.

I've worked up a load using Leverevolution powder and 150 Remmy corelocks, at 100M 3 shots well under an inch at a very snotty 2340 fps. That's fine for 99% of what this rifle would be expected to do 200M = stone dead if I do my part . . . But it's going to be a "pack rifle" for those trips where I'll be carrying a pack as it's now officially my lightest rifle at 3.1 kgs scoped and suppressed. As such it would be good if it could stretch to 300M shots when required.

The corelock is a spire point bullet but a pretty blunt one, so by 300 it's only doing 1500 fps . . . Not much snot there!

Has anyone got an idea of a 30 cal 150 gn that is both slippery and will reliably open at 1500-1600 fps?.

I'd try either Nosler ballistic tips, or possibly Sierra TMK's.

Or I'd download it even further and try something like a 190gr SubX at ~1600.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Speer 150 btsp hands down
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

Gkp
    150sst would go well. Very destructive
    165 targex. I think I have a few if you want to try
    168 eldm I also have you can try. These were my favorite in a 308 out to 650 yards on goats. Be good in your fast twist.

Love the Thomson single shots. Very handy rifles

Agree speer I'm normally a Sierra fan but these things... ..

Caretaker
    150g Nosler Ballistic Tips

Attachment 239850
    Trout, crewe2, Gibo and 2 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Im another speer 150gr btsp fan. Dropped plenty of deer with them over the last year. And they are well priced which is a bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Gidday Folks

Maybe some of you recall the "short single shot 330-30" thread. Well mine is now up and running, it's a TC Contender with a 17" long 1:8 twist barrel.

I've worked up a load using Leverevolution powder and 150 Remmy corelocks, at 100M 3 shots well under an inch at a very snotty 2340 fps. That's fine for 99% of what this rifle would be expected to do 200M = stone dead if I do my part . . . But it's going to be a "pack rifle" for those trips where I'll be carrying a pack as it's now officially my lightest rifle at 3.1 kgs scoped and suppressed. As such it would be good if it could stretch to 300M shots when required.

The corelock is a spire point bullet but a pretty blunt one, so by 300 it's only doing 1500 fps . . . Not much snot there!

Has anyone got an idea of a 30 cal 150 gn that is both slippery and will reliably open at 1500-1600 fps?.
    Yum! Photos?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Best 30 cal 150gn - modest velocity

Speer spbt, sierra spbt (game king?) or Nosler BT. A SST possibly. These would be the soft 150s in .308 cal. All similiar., pick what shoots best and you can get hold of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aparently roberts 151cast hollow points are pretty effective around that speed if you wanted a low cost option

Speer used to be softer than Sierra. I was disappointed with 165 Sierra boattails on goats. They didn’t kill well, I was told to switch to Speer as they were softer.
    The Speer definitely killed the goats quicker. Then I switched to Speer 130gr HP, they were murder on goats!
    Trout, Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    150g Nosler Ballistic Tips

Attachment 239850
    Green tips.
    A few yrs ago,i had a guest from overseas who was a ballistic software engineer for the defence force of his own country but working in NZ now.He updates software and designes new stuff.He s got his own collection of rifles and reckns the green tips were the best tips in the world.Interesting comment.

Speer BTSP, no question.

Soft, reliable expansion, beautiful mushrooms, good BC.

Close range shots might not exit a good sized deer, but the shock transfer flattens the animal DRT.

Has accounted for hundreds of cull animals for me the past few years. The primary attraction when I switched to the BTSP was the $40 / 100 price tag. They’ve gone up since then of course.

As soon as I’ve used up all the leftover 150gr NBTs, AMax, GameKing, I’ll be loading the 150gr BTSP for my BLR. Not even considering anything else.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    aparently roberts 151cast hollow points are pretty effective around that speed if you wanted a low cost option
    yes they open well at 1300 and punch thru to the skin and hold together

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    yes they open well at 1300 and punch thru to the skin and hold together
    I wouldn't want to mix lubed lead and cast bullets in the same fast twist 30 cal barrel

The tiniest bit of lead fouling could dramatically effect the jacketed bullet accuracy.
    I have successfully mixed Cast Lead Powder Coated gas check bullets with jacketed bullets in one of my 30-30s but these cast lead ones are essentially a jacked bullet because the PC never strips and leaves lead in the bore
    rupert and Micky Duck like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter