Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter

Thread: Best rainguard type coatings available?

Best rainguard type coatings available?

Hi all
    I was in the Kawekas in November and the weather was a little damp and I couldn't shoot a deer 20m in front of me due to the wet rear lense of my scope which was totally blurred. A bit gutted I was! I came home a got a Bushnell scope I had and got it very wet and could see through it no problem at all, if I had that scope with me I am sure my pack would have been full of venison. Bushnell have Rainguard and now Exo, and I was hoping the members here might be able to shed some light on what other brands have coatings for repelling water and are able to be seen through, and your considered opinions of their effectiveness would be most interesting and appreciated.
    Cheers
    Ruger7mm

Havnt had much joy with leupold Vx3 or below, had the same experience as you in wet conditions. But the vx5 and above are great and have a decent lens coating.

I have a bushnell and yeah sort of works leupold no I carry a camera quality lens cleaner decanted into a small squeeze bottle - and again camera quality lens cleaning tissues - put them in lots of 10 into small plastic bags -then clean regularly - but the main thing I do in rain is to carry rifle facing down and I tuck the eye end of the scope into my sleeve - works to some degree- pity it happens cause I do like hunting in misty rain - but I just dont think there is an easy awnser - well yes there is and its called open sights
    Micky Duck likes this.

practise this......... put up target,paper dinner plate good. put cover over front of scope,both eyes open up and shoot...its how the first of the red dot scopes work...main eye sees the cross/dot and other eye sees the target,your thinking machine puts the dot/crosshair ontop /superimposes onto the other. others just barrel shoot at that range,look over or alongside scope.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I used to have bike inner tube rolled onto the lenses and when it was wet just unroll them and they stop quite a bit of water, but it still gets in. On this occasion I had a shot through a gap in the vegetation and all I could see was blurred green. I was surprised at the way the Bushnell Elite performed in my water test at home though. As for open sights I could have taken my 9.3 x 57 and it would have done the job well, would have shaken the water off that sika hind for sure.