Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: Blown suppressor baffle - Launched 20m downrange

Blown suppressor baffle - Launched 20m downrange

Bit of excitement down the range on Friday with the suppressor.
    All was going well sighting in a couple of other rifles until i pulled out the 24" 6mm creedmoor. The first shot felt good and looked good on target though sounded just a touch different. Upon working the bolt and looking over the scope i noticed the suppressor 'bike innertube' cover flapping around like a split banana skin. The bloody front half of the suppressor was gone!
    The bloody thing was 20m down range!

I don't believe the bullet struck any part of the suppressor as there was no indication on any of the baffle holes and end cap. The bullet hit 1 inch high as expected on the target at 100m. The bullet hole was nice and clean.
    Definitely was a clean, dry, clear bore as i had boresnaked it straight out of the gun safe and then checked for a clear bore at the range bench before i put the bolt in after screwing the suppressor on.

The ammunition is a known load that has been fired approximately 50 times through this suppressor previously (200 rounds through my other suppressor also) . This suppressor I usually use on my 223rem(22" barrel) and has fired approximately 700 rounds. This suppressor had also had approximately 150 6.5 creedmoor shots through it also. I use the suppressor for hunting (fine weather) and some range test shooting (Less than 6 shots in any string and not fast).
    I have disassembled the suppressor and cleaned it multiple times previously though it never seems to have much if any (a thin layer) built up stuff in it.

Name:  Full sup.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  644.1 KB
    Name:  Target.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  398.3 KB
    Name:  Both sup.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  447.6 KB
    Name:  Cap.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  422.6 KB

I use my .223 regularly so chucked up the suppressor in the lathe and machined out the baffle remnants until the old baffle thread came out like a wire/spring. It reassembled mint except 1 baffle shorter!

Name:  DPT in lathe.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  544.1 KB

I have spoken to DPT and asked for assistance with the issue. They wanted me to send it to them but thought the issue would be corrosion anyway. I didn't really want to send it as i use the .223 regularly and didn't want to be without it. I said I'd be happy if i could buy a replacement baffle at a discounted price. Preferably a S/S baffle to avoid any future issues.
    They got back to me later after speaking to the 'Boss'. They believed the fault would have been corrosion of the alloy as the suppressor must be between 5-7years old. Not covered by any warranty and that I could purchase a replacement baffle from them for full price ($100) + freight.

So be aware that if you have an older DPT (or as your current DPT ages) to maybe switch the rear baffle out to the front or replace the rear baffle before it pops.
    199p, Maca49, Frogfeatures and 4 others like this.

Ive just bought one and after taking it apart and having a look at it I decided that Ill be rotating the baffles through it when I use it. I have actually seen that happen once before to one of those suppressors.
    Roarless20 likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Same happened to me with my 300saum. It looked just like yours. Killed the deer I shot at.
    I biffed it and got a new one.
    I had never cleaned it and it had done a lot of work. Trouble is the baffles seize up pretty quickly after new and getting them apart becomes impossible.
    GSP HUNTER, Gibo and BSA270 like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Same happened to me with my 300saum. It looked just like yours. Killed the deer I shot at.
    I had never cleaned it and it had done a lot of work. Trouble is the baffles seize up pretty quickly after new and getting them apart becomes impossible.
    They have a maintenance pdf floating around. If i recall, something along the lines of cardboard on the baffles and an appropriate sized strap wrench helps loosen them. I try to oil mine whenever I remember to.

Yeah I've seen the same happen.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

I love my maes heavy but never had one blow apart.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

STC
    Just like every other firearm part suppressors require cleaning and maintenance.

How do you clean the one piece suppressors like Hardy's.
    tetawa, Shamus_ and witchcraft like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Mine
    Name:  IMG_8042.jpeg
Views: 544
Size:  4.50 MB
    - Rumi

Caretaker
    Saums killing deer since 2002
    Tahr and BRADS like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

STC
    How do you clean the one piece suppressors like Hardy's.
    Good question, maybe ask the people that sell them?

Copper or nickel antisieze on the threads, and that helps stop the crap from combustion getting into the threads and seizing them up. I'd run with the nickel myself just with the alloy threads from personal preference but that's just me. The other issue is with a hot can after firing the threads can work up really tight, gently warming the thing up with a few shots haha can help you spin them apart. The makers often supply clampy thingies to help you grab and unscrew them.

As far as cleaning a sealed can, an ultrasonic cleaner is one way - I wouldn't fill it with solvents after seeing what happened to one that the owner drowned in petrol. Let it drip dry and a few hours later put a shot through expecting everything to have evaporated. I think the conclusion was that there was still a bit of petrol remaining in it, and the resulting pop blew a nifty split down one side. Rooted it...
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    Just like every other firearm part suppressors require cleaning and maintenance.
    Sorta like saying remember to breathe. Look at the DPT website. Maintenance is so easy. Darren produces a quality product. 2C.
    7mmwsm, 57jl, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Micky Duck and STC like this.

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Sorta like saying remember to breathe. Look at the DPT website. Maintenance is so easy. Darren produces a quality product. 2C.
    I would have thought so too. Yet still the "never clean anything" faction continues to breathe.