Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 2 Post By Rn-85
  • 2 Post By BigEarl69
  • 1 Post By Rn-85
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Brown Mark in Barrel

Brown Mark in Barrel

Noticed this brown mark running down the barrel. I think theres three lines running down. Is it too wide to be rifling? I clean it pretty well and oil it when it's in the cabinet.

Is it rust? Hoppes residue? The gun is only a few years old.

Is there a better cleaner that will make the barrel shine? Better tool than copper brush and patches? The patches run through clean.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Caretaker
    It’s the poo from poo four three
    Shearer, scotty and Micky Duck like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

But it's a tree, oh defecate

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    It’s the poo from poo four three
    Certainly looks like it shat the bed

7mmsaum and Micky Duck like this.

Just looks like copper fouling on the lands of your rifling. I’ve had good results from Collings No90 for removing fouling.
    Carbine and Longrun like this.

STC
    Copperfouling.

But there may also be traces of rust. Boretech is good.

You have somebody with a borescope nearby? that can help you clean rifle?

I would doubt there's rust.

The gun is 4 years old and was barely used for the first 3. Alwaysed used handloads with 2206h, so not overly corrosive and is cleaned pretty regularly.

Na i dont know anyone with a borescope.

STC
    "barely used"
    "cleaned fairly regularly"
    "not overly corrosive"

thanks you have confirmed my suspicion.

And the reason why I would never buy a used gun without having a good look into the bore before.

All powder residue is corrosive. especially with moisture. The fact that nz is surrounded by ocean and most settlements are close to it does not help.

The orange on the lands will be copperfouling. the brown specs in between (as you see on the blurry photo) likely rust.

How does it shoot? "fairly accurate" by any chance?

In all respect, those three statements are not subjective as i bought the rifle new.

Cheers for your input.

Carbine likes this.

its copper bud..nothing to stress about..if its still shooting as its supposed to,just clean it and put it away....
    just like the dead possum in the water tank...its not a problem unless you tell someone!!!
    if its bugging the crap out of you and cant sleep at night....get some copper solvent and clean it out.... or not LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

As above, more barrels have probably been ruined by over cleaning. Just dry patch and then two oiled ones is enough
    Micky Duck likes this.

STC
    "Overcleaning" does not damage barrels.

Bad cleaning practices with either poor methods or unsuitable materials does.

Copper fouling does not explain the round orange specs on the grooves clearly visible on the photo. Those might be rust or just some dirt. Impossible to tell due to photo being unsharp. Given the cleaning regime (if it can be called that) I would not be surprised to find rust in a carbon barrel like that.

Good news is that its likely not going to affect accuracy.
    Last edited by STC; 18-03-2024 at 10:27 AM.

The streaky brown marks are gilding metal fouling off the bullet - either copper or whatever gunmetal alloy the bullet maker used to form the bullet's jackets. The yellow dots are interesting, rust in a barrel isn't that colour. Usually darker than the front brown dot on the left side of the barrel, if anything was rust that would be it.

If you want to confirm look at it in good light with a magnifying glass, then using a piece of copper wire (household TPS type copper from 1mm2 solid lighting type TPS is fine) remove it and see what's under the mark. That will tell you whats going on - and as others have said rust is something that comes in when the firearm isn't being used so your one could well have had the right conditions to have a rust spot in the bore. If it's shot regularly the rust gets lawnmowed out every time a pill goes past...

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    The streaky brown marks are gilding metal fouling off the bullet - either copper or whatever gunmetal alloy the bullet maker used to form the bullet's jackets. The yellow dots are interesting, rust in a barrel isn't that colour. Usually darker than the front brown dot on the left side of the barrel, if anything was rust that would be it.

If you want to confirm look at it in good light with a magnifying glass, then using a piece of copper wire (household TPS type copper from 1mm2 solid lighting type TPS is fine) remove it and see what's under the mark. That will tell you whats going on - and as others have said rust is something that comes in when the firearm isn't being used so your one could well have had the right conditions to have a rust spot in the bore. If it's shot regularly the rust gets lawnmowed out every time a pill goes past...
    My concern was the brown streak as thats what i saw with my naked eye. The other dot could be in issue with the camera. Its not easy getting the camera to focus on the inside of the barrel. Ill have a better look tonight. In an other photo it doesnt seem to be there.

Yes that's an issue all right. Cameras have some limitations it seems! Just don't do what one guy did and take to the streaky marks with a piece of scotchbrite scouring pad...