Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bushline
  • 1 Post By TeRei

Thread: Browning xbolt super light? / .223 advice?

Browning xbolt super light? / .223 advice?

Hi team ,
    I have a fair selection of rifles from small to large and never thought I’d have the need for another .223 as I have a perfectly good .22-250 but unfortunately my .223 met the criteria to be bought back. I’m currently looking to replace it so my kids and I can do some light varmiting together. Originally I had been looking at the tikka (or similar) with a full barrel suppressor but have been put off by the reviews. I’ve been quite interested by the browning xbolt superlight.. I would be interested in some feedback on these rifles (excuse my ignorance if this topic has come up before, but I couldn’t find it) otherwise some alternative options. I have had a browning abolt in the past and quite often think of it as ‘the one I let get away’ as it was a really accurate and good fit rifle. Since then I haven’t owned a browning but am seriously considering it for 2 reasons. 1st they look quite good, 2nd as mentioned I have a few so it would be good to add something to the collection that’s slightly different to the others.
    Any feedback would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance,
    Tahrzan

I have owned a Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .223 for 2 years and done a fair bit of hunting with it. Had previous good experiences with an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .25/06 and was not disappointed with the .223
    Nice presentation and attention to detail for the price. Spare mags are $200 each so try not to lose it! Adjustable trigger is about 3 lb at lowest setting and lighter aftermarket springs can be hard to find.
    My rifle has the 1-8 twist which is great for heavier hunting projectiles.

I think the superlight would be a good choice for a family-friendly varmint gun.

I just went to through this process and in the end settled on a standard Tikka which I cut to 18in. I also own an a bolt so was keen for another browning. I just couldn't justify the extra cost on a rifle that I couldn't tell the difference between when handling them. The shop I went into had one of each set up with scope and as I said I couldn't tell the difference. They are a nice rifle and if you want to spend that you won't be disappointed in it.

The super light has a 16in barrel, that’s a bit short in my opinion for a 223 that’s leaning more towards varminting, 20in would be better in terms of getting more velocity. I had 20in 1/8 tikka with a dpt suppressor and it was a great varminter and knocked over it’s fair share of deer as well

Tikkas are bloody hard to beat.
    Good value
    Great accuracy
    takbok likes this.

I had one of the xbolt carbon lite 16". 223. The sample I had shot like crap with 10 different loads, average 1.5-4" a 100m. Sent it back, was told nothing wrong, their test groups of one ammo type was 2" with random flyers. Got a replacement new in box which I swapped right there for a tikka. 223. The tikka shot 0.75moa with the first 3 shots with the first ammo type and now shoots even better after 400 rounds through it.
    I liked the xbolt action and general feel but if it won't shoot moa then it's a waste of time. No moa guarantee on browning. Buy a second hand one that is proven to shoot well if you must have one.

The budget AB3 I brought shoots around .25 MOA. Only the second Browning I have had but I wouldn't hesitate on another.

Not sure if the super light is really lighter enough to justify the extra $ though.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Not sure what review put you off a tikka?? Every one I've handled has been excellent (except for over-enthusiastic ejection, easily solved)

The x-bolt trigger is coarser IMO, but still a competent rifle.
    Sorry not off tikka, just the full barrel suppressors
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tahrzan View Post
    Sorry not off tikka, just the full barrel suppressors
    Thanks
    Right now that's settled.....buy a Tikka and not the Browning X-bolt.

X-bolts just don’t seem very consistent accuracy-wise.
    I once had a Hells canyon long range in 7mm RemMag with the 1-8 twist and it wouldn’t group factory ammo. I tried 7 different factory loads and the best group was about 3 MOA and some were closer to 5 MOA. It was a very frustrating process...

So why not go with a Tikka and have a well-made and accurate rifle with good resale?
    When I was young my Grandfather always said Browning was top shelf. Just doesn't seem to be that way anymore.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Brother in law has one which shoots well. He bought one before the current one which wouldn't group so after trying many different loads took it back to shop where they tested it and found the headspace was out, the replacement as said above shoots as a 223 should.
    They are nice and short and still had good velocity for a 16 inch barrel. 55 gr Hornady still went through at a bit over 3000 fps and 60 gr Noslar Partitions over 2900 fps.

I load my mates x bolt with 55gr Barnes. Robot reliable. Need say more. He slays stags with it all year around. He ignores experts who tell him he is under gunned.
    takbok likes this.

Handled one yesterday. Hardly call it superlight.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.