Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Carbon stock for a Tikka

Carbon stock for a Tikka

Hi all,

I have been thinking about getting a carbon stock for my Tikka. Just wondered from those out there that have or have had them, is it worth the money?
    shaving a couple hundred grams of the overall weight would be nice and the added rigidity.

Next up is what are your recommendations? Does anyone have any experience with the following

I spoke to Rivers to ranges, theirs have a nice shape but $1500 is getting up there. 500-540g I have read a few good reviews on them
    Kroseg tikka hunter? bit heavier 750-850g so no weight savings (prices are better and they look like they are well made)
    Glacier rifle Co? 630g to 670g only 100g lighter than syn stock (again prices are better and they look like they are well made)
    MB and MPR like this.

I have a Chris Fisher carbon stock on my T3x. Love it. As you point out, it is the only one of the 3 you mention that offers significant weight saving. Check out his video on You Tube if you want to see how tough they are.
    199p, MB, dannyb and 1 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJames View Post
    Hi all,

I have been thinking about getting a carbon stock for my Tikka. Just wondered from those out there that have or have had them, is it worth the money?
    shaving a couple hundred grams of the overall weight would be nice and the added rigidity.

Next up is what are your recommendations? Does anyone have any experience with the following

I spoke to Rivers to ranges, theirs have a nice shape but $1500 is getting up there. 500-540g I have read a few good reviews on them
    Kroseg tikka hunter? bit heavier 750-850g so no weight savings (prices are better and they look like they are well made)
    Glacier rifle Co? 630g to 670g only 100g lighter than syn stock (again prices are better and they look like they are well made)
    Glacier stocks are bloody good

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    JimmyJames likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have a Chris Fisher carbon stock on my T3x. Love it.
    Can you drop the action straight in or do they need bedding etc?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Can you drop the action straight in or do they need bedding etc?
    Drops straight in.
    MB and JimmyJames like this.

+1 for fisher stock it’s the only one that I could find that actually saves weight from factory t3 stock, older hi tech or stug are the others if you can find one
    JimmyJames likes this.

I have a fisherman, stug and a hitech (one of Ken's last stocks he made). I prefer the fisherman, top notch construction and weight. Overall fisherman is a bit more slender than the hitech. Only thing that would be nice is a higher comb.
    199p likes this.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Fisher ones do look like a like a great stock from what ive seen, I like i more vertical grip on them. R to R only have painted ones at the moment.
    I do like the look of the Glacier ones but find it hard to justify spending the money to only save 100-130g
    Shearer likes this.

I recommend fisherman stocks, too. Great finish, work great, look great, and great price.
    He also imports some really good recoil pads that dont weigh the same as the stock.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Shearer likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

MB
    How to contact Chris Fisher?

MB likes this.

Cheers for all the good feedback guys...I work for Rivers to Ranges now.

Carbon finish is available now. They are weighing in at about 500-510 grams with a microcell recoil pad or 550gm with the limbsaver.
    They have a 100% record so far on drop in and shoot but I imagine one day we will have to bed a stock for someone...but so far so good.

We have had one breakage so far...I didn't catch up on what happened but I imagine the rifle was dropped from great height and is was fractured but still perfectly functional (Rivers to Ranges replaced it on the spot...no questions asked).

They are relatively expensive but it is what it is...achieving that weight and strength requires a lot more work than conventional stocks.

Chris
    veitnamcam, 199p, Hunty1 and 6 others like this.

MB
    Thanks Fisherman. Best way to buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Thanks Fisherman. Best way to buy one?
    Contact Rivers to Ranges...06 878 7177
    MB likes this.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for jumping in on the group. They defiantly have great feedback

When I spoke to them they said there was only the painted ones in stock. Do you have some carbon finish on their way?

Cheers,
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Cheers for all the good feedback guys...I work for Rivers to Ranges now.

Carbon finish is available now. They are weighing in at about 500-510 grams with a microcell recoil pad or 550gm with the limbsaver.
    They have a 100% record so far on drop in and shoot but I imagine one day we will have to bed a stock for someone...but so far so good.

We have had one breakage so far...I didn't catch up on what happened but I imagine the rifle was dropped from great height and is was fractured but still perfectly functional (Rivers to Ranges replaced it on the spot...no questions asked).

They are relatively expensive but it is what it is...achieving that weight and strength requires a lot more work than conventional stocks.

Chris