Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: choosing .22hornet cz 465 OR hw 60j

choosing .22hornet cz 465 OR hw 60j

Hi there ,

in critical condition to choose between cz zkw 465 in 22. hornet and weihrauch hw60 j in 22. hornet .

plz clarify both in price and value which one is worth to buy considering same price here ..(secend-hand in good condition)

thanks a lot ,

Yeah welcome with that intro.

The ZKW 465 is a BRNO not a CZ and if in good condition is more of a collectors item.
    I have a pristine one that shoots OK but is outshot by my modern Savage.
    A good ZKW goes, depending upon the bidding momentum on the likes of Trademe for up to 1200ish, maybe more, maybe less. Value killer will be whether it is threaded for a suppressor or not.

The Weihrauch HW would be more of a modern shooter hopefully. Did read somewhere though of an owner's frustration with one in 22H getting it to group. This would be surprising though considering their quality and accuracy reputation certainly in their 22 RFs and 17s.
    Only aware of the new value on their 22 RFs.
    veitnamcam and cissp22 like this.

ill but the HW if you don't want, not a hard choice for me and I've owned both before! Mine you a 22 hornet is an old cartridge there's better out there these days IMHO
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Name:  hornet.jpg
Views: 2898
Size:  175.4 KB

this is the rifle ,

also weihrouch has 12 grooves riflings but this one has 8 grooves ,

so the HW is a better choice ?

thanks Zimmer ,
    in our country brno 22.hornet has more fans while hw 60j seems to have better quality and as u said newer , i also heard that accuracy as an issue can be more Conceivable with Česká republika products ...

@cissp22 just bought a 17 HMR Weihrauch, beautiful over engineered rifle, very much like an Anshultz, but better action, mag,etc. Brno is nice as well a little more military in finish, two top rifles in that cal. Personal taste
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The HW60j is a 22 RF action same as the Anschutz the Bruno ZKW465 is a mini Mauser action with proper locking lugs at the front, I have one dated 49 it is more than accurate enough for small game it is my favourite rabbit and Hare
    rifle, loaded with cast bullets it is deadly without making a mess and cheaper to shoot than a 17 HMR

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    @cissp22 just bought a 17 HMR Weihrauch, beautiful over engineered rifle, very much like an Anshultz, but better action, mag,etc. Brno is nice as well a little more military in finish, two top rifles in that cal. Personal taste
    No choice for 17hmr ...

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    The HW60j is a 22 RF action same as the Anschutz the Bruno ZKW465 is a mini Mauser action with proper locking lugs at the front, I have one dated 49 it is more than accurate enough for small game it is my favourite rabbit and Hare
    rifle, loaded with cast bullets it is deadly without making a mess and cheaper to shoot than a 17 HMR
    which one is more expensive just considering the price ? so same rank for both accuracy and quality ?

Haven't used Weihrauch in 22H but did do full range and field test of HW 60 J in 22magnum. HW 60 J is a rifle I did not want to pass back to retailer. Beautifully made, extremely accurate - down to 0.2" groups at 50m. All class. Better quality than the CZs - which are also fine rifles. Haven't seen an HW 60 J in 22H but I'd guess maybe $800-1100 secondhand.

I tend to agree with Maca above - 22H fine old round but if you're spending up, there are better calibers round these days - 17 Hornet etc.
    cissp22 likes this.

If you want a good new 22 Hornet , I think a new CZ527 is hard to beat , they tend to be good shooting rifles , people have had less success with the rear locking bolts like the old Annies etc .
    Unless you have to have 22 Hornet , a 222-223 will give you easier accuracy & more range .
    The older Hornets used a different 22 bullet dia , as well .
    mudgripz and cissp22 like this.

MSL
    I have a '49 Brno and it is very nice to shoot and carry.
    cissp22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    The big win for me with the HMR is no reloading, cheap ammo and I don't have to save the bloody shell! shooting rabbits I only take the back straps and hind legs, not often I screw the meat with a bad shot, main reason I sold my .17 hornet was having to save the brass.i have bought a Tikka 223 yet to really come to grips with it, using it on Fallow next week with 75 grain projectiles, will see how it performs!
    sneeze likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    If you want a good new 22 Hornet , I think a new CZ527 is hard to beat , they tend to be good shooting rifles , people have had less success with the rear locking bolts like the old Annies etc .
    Unless you have to have 22 Hornet , a 222-223 will give you easier accuracy & more range .
    The older Hornets used a different 22 bullet dia , as well .
    I have had a few Anshultz and I love em but that crappy bolt puts me off, you need to spend big bucks to get a 54? Action, the Weihrauch is a better rifle overall, the bolt in mine is nothing like the Anshultz?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Not sure what the issue is that people have with rear locking actions. The Match 54 in its 22H guise will be more than strong enough to handle the Hornet as will the Weihrauch rear locker 22H. After all Anschutz did make a rear locker 222Rem. Millions of SMLEs/#4s, Rem 788s, S&Ls and so on. In the more robust cartridges there will be action stretching and the need to FLS but in a piddly 22H that will not be the case.
    sneeze and Maca49 like this.

The short lift bolt that clears any scope ocular with room to spare, better build quality, really nice trigger and top accuracy its the Weihrauch for my money. I had one in .22 hornet for a while,(still have one in HMR ). Brilliant shooting rifle but the .22 hornet was limited. To much effort for to little gain over the .17 hmr and on the other side of the equation the classic .222 rem outperforms it by a couple of country miles for very little extra cost and it's easier to reload for.
    "Want" is plenty of reason to get one though.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin