Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Do I need a suppressor?

Do I need a suppressor?

Hi all

I just bought a Remington 700 (TM bargain) to take down to uni next year... It's not threaded but I'm wondering whether I get it threaded and buy a suppressor for it. I'm on a student budget so not trying to do a crazy modification job. I think I'll be in a variety of situations hunting wise, from the tops to dense bush and farmland going after most things that move. I'm not sure how accurate this Rem 700 is but at $450 incl Bushnell 3-9x40 it felt rude not to purchase haha. Synthetic stock, NOT the faulty triggers (I think they were XMPs). Blued

Any thoughts as to whether I should get a suppressor?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy decoys

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Calibre ?
    Bush or tops hunting ?
    People have benn using standard rifles forever, very successfully
    That said, I find my suppressed rifles nicer to use, and I think they’re more accurate.
    It’s a nice to have, not a need to have.

Sorry, just noticed you’ve already answered my second question
    Micky Duck, TianBotha and RUMPY like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

If you hunt with a dog, then it becomes a lot more important. If it's just you, then you can save your hearing (and some cash in the short term) by using a range of hearing protection.

I dont think a suppressor is necessary. See an animal, stalk it, one shot, bang, flop, job done. Rinse and repeat. Save the money and invest in some decent bino's, will help you harvest more animals than a suppressor.

+1 for the above binos I am a huge suppressor fan so when you can I’d recommend doing so but I went with out for years
    Micky Duck likes this.

Being a student hunting with boysngirls,buy a suppresser.
    Makros, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

if you spend the $120 ish to get it threaded in common thread eg 1;20 now, you will get crown cleaned up at same time...save your coins and keep eye on the buy sell section for correct suppressor...they pop up for $200 at times..... you might even get really lucky and be able to borrow one in meantime..never know your luck.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by slk12 View Post
    Hi all

I just bought a Remington 700 (TM bargain) to take down to uni next year... It's not threaded but I'm wondering whether I get it threaded and buy a suppressor for it. I'm on a student budget so not trying to do a crazy modification job. I think I'll be in a variety of situations hunting wise, from the tops to dense bush and farmland going after most things that move. I'm not sure how accurate this Rem 700 is but at $450 incl Bushnell 3-9x40 it felt rude not to purchase haha. Synthetic stock, NOT the faulty triggers (I think they were XMPs). Blued

Any thoughts as to whether I should get a suppressor?
    yes all my early years shooting no suppressor and am now deaf as a post well damn hard of hearing for hunters great invention - gives one confidence not worrying about the noise they really do make you a better shot - can concentrate on the shot end of story

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if you spend the $120 ish to get it threaded in common thread eg 1;20 now, you will get crown cleaned up at same time...save your coins and keep eye on the buy sell section for correct suppressor...they pop up for $200 at times..... you might even get really lucky and be able to borrow one in meantime..never know your luck.
    Valid, what’s calibre is the rifle?

57JL
    lt will save ear damage over time- long-term it should be one of your goals, good ears will get you more deer because all your senses will be in tune. at my age, I struggle when hunting, socially at parties and at home watching the idiot box i have to have it louder than everyone else. Firearms WILL DAMAGE YOUR EARS so try and look after them you will not regret it.
    CLASSIC EXSAMPLE you are in the kitchen after getting out of bed early before every one else- you had one of those naughty dreams and you are throbing and can,t hold back So whats the most sensitive part on your body just before you blow your bolt
    YOUR EARS licening for someone comming down the hallway!! if your deaf you will get caught
    shananah likes this.

You are young and relatively undamaged (well you were till you just read the above post) Hopefully will learn from all the deaf c@nts on here: get a suppressor.
    ANTSMAN, Makros, TeRei and 11 others like this.

Suppressors are so light, cheap, compact and effective these days that my and my partners regular hunting rifles all have one.
    Save your hearing and the hearing of those around you and get one.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Noone I ever spoke to regrets spending the money on one.

If you can afford it do it cuts sound and recoil down

You only have one set of ears. Get a suppressor & save your hearing
    Dama dama, Roarless20 and blip like this.