Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Element optics

Nil

Element optics

I'm in the market for a new scope and haven looking at the element optics range, specifically the helix hdlr, seems to tick all the boxes for a pretty good price point.
    Does anyone run an element scope on a centrefire here nd mind sharing any good or bad opinions on them?
    Cheers

Ive got a Helix 6-24. Was on a .223 for ages and now on son's 7mmRUM. Nothing wrong with them. Its been faultless.
    bmax likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Cant offer much insight on their scopes but Wayne one of the importers for Element optics lives just up the road from me, I have bought a few items from him, rings and projectiles etc and have found him to be an absolute gentleman and a downright good bugger to deal with.
    I would go as far as to say if you did have any issues I reckon Wayne would see you were well looked after above and beyond what is required.
    He is a competition shooter and is passionate about the Element Optics brand.
    bmax and Husky1600#2 like this.
    #DANNYCENT

I've just traded into the Helix FFP 4-16 but haven't yet mounted it on a shooter. I did do some rudimentary comparisons with it against some other scopes here. My comparisons are sorta hunting orientated and IMO a non illuminated FFP scope isn't the best choice for hunting ( drop the power down as the light goes and you can't see the reticle).

Anyhow in terms of resolution both the Meopta Optika 6 3-18 and Delta Titanium 6-24 were superior, it was better than a FFP first generation ARES BTR 4.5-27. To see into the shadows as the light goes the Meopta is better than anything I've tested (including VX5s which are bloody good) but the Helix was very close if not superior to the Delta and way better than the Athlon. My 2 cents
    bmax likes this.

Yes Wayne is a good bloke!
    bmax and dannyb like this.

Maybe look into their tracking a bit harder if you are going to be dialing a lot.
    The Youtube scope reviewer 'Cyclops' only gave the Element Helix 6/10 for tracking - the worst of 7 different 6-24x he tested.
    bmax likes this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

I've got a titan and a nexus from Wayne.

The titan is a target/competition oriented scope. Good turrets. Different reticle options. Lots of adjustment. Good glass (beats a Vortex Viper imo). Great for clubbing seals. Weighs a ton.

The nexus I could best describe as a first focal plane target style vx6.
    bmax and dannyb like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    Maybe look into their tracking a bit harder if you are going to be dialing a lot.
    The Youtube scope reviewer 'Cyclops' only gave the Element Helix 6/10 for tracking - the worst of 7 different 6-24x he tested.
    Hmmmm I like Joe "Cyclops" reviews but usually he only has one sampe scope. One of the guys on the Element optics PRS team is an acquaintance of mine and I know he bench tests the heck out of his scopes, and he's never mentioned any tracking issues, but I don't recall what model he runs either!
    bmax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hmmmm I like Joe "Cyclops" reviews but usually he only has one sampe scope. One of the guys on the Element optics PRS team is an acquaintance of mine and I know he bench tests the heck out of his scopes, and he's never mentioned any tracking issues, but I don't recall what model he runs either!
    Here's the video. The summary for tracking is at 8:08.
    And have a look at the Element Helix glass quality at 8:53.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xByZXNQHPy8
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

I got offered a good deal on a nexus so took the plunge. It has been faultless for me so far.
    It’s only been in the hills half a dozen times but I’ve been impressed with the light transparency. It has however done a lot of range work out to around 850m. Tracks perfectly. The only small gripe I have is the parallax dial is quite stiff and if wearing gloves can be a bit niggly. More than happy otherwise, would recommend.
    bmax likes this.

I have the element nexus on my 300wsm, and to be honest i cant fault it. Value for money i think its one of the better options out there. No problems with tracking, ive shot out to 800m on steel & just shy of 600m on animals & its done everything its supposed to.
    bmax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    Here's the video. The summary for tracking is at 8:08.
    And have a look at the Element Helix glass quality at 8:53.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xByZXNQHPy8
    Mine has been dialled many hundreds of times and is still spot on.
    And remember that its a $800 'scope so the glass is never going to be stellar. Im happy with "good enough" at that price. I would rate it around VX2 going VX3.
    dannyb and 6.5 CRD like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Mine has been dialled many hundreds of times and is still spot on.
    And remember that its a $800 'scope so the glass is never going to be stellar. Im happy with "good enough" at that price. I would rate it around VX2 going VX3.
    100% whilst reviews are good to have, 1 review on 1 particular model of scope does not make for gospel for that model or that brand. I've read good and bad reviews on pretty much every scope I can think of if you just pick the 1 review and use that to base your opinion for an entire line up you could be setting yourself up to fail.
    If i cannot find much info on a brand or model I will take a punt if it's cheap enough, otherwise I will read as many reviews as possible and if available have a look at the scope in person. Not having a stab at anyone here. Just my 2 cents.
    The problem with youtube reviews is anyone with a cell phone can make 1, and you don't always know if their bias is tainted or favoured.
    What I do know is that solid trustworthy after sales service certainly gives confidence when reviews or experience is not available.
    I have had this experience with a few online sellers in NZ including Element Optics
    Last edited by dannyb; 03-04-2023 at 08:56 AM.
    #DANNYCENT

Helix. 6-24.
    Head shot 420 yards. Dialed. .223
    I would have dialled maybe 30 times that day shooting wallaby.

Name:  IMG_5368.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  2.09 MB
    308, dannyb, charliehorse and 2 others like this.
    - Rumi

Can also vouch for the 6-24 helix, solid scope and repeatable adjustments with a good zero stop, I would agree with Tahr with the glass comparison. Only sold on as it was too much magnification for me. I am seriously considering the 2-16 also.
    Tahr likes this.