Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Glasses and shooting

Glasses and shooting

Morning folks, I have just started wearing glasses full time. I can still see distance pretty well without them though.

My question is how will this affect my vision through scopes will I need to check at the range to see if it impacts my point of aim?
    Happy Jack.

Im in the same boat. Does not affect my vision through the scope much, Im just having a hard time to see the dials on my scope clearly.
    25/08 IMP likes this.

good excuse for range time regardless.......

It depends - I'm badly short-sighted and had laser eye surgery when I was 20. Had to physically adjust all my scopes as the focal length changed from where my glasses were. Now I'm in my 50's natural ageing process means that I need glasses for distance (again) but not for close up, now there is no change when swapping between using glasses and not.

Over the last 4-5 years Ive become a full time glasses wearer.
    The prescription lenses that I have to correct an astigmatism have the effect of distorting the image a fraction when looking through a scope .
    Talking to my optometrist about it she said that it probably is the curvature and type of glass in my prescription glasses not jiving with the multiple lenses in the scope .
    When I’m hunting I just wear my glasses and don’t worry about the distortion , it is very small and not really a problem , but it is noticeable and takes a little getting used too .
    But if I’m shooting targets or doing load development then I take the glasses off and adjust the scope to my old buggered eyes .
    I can’t prove it exactly but I feel that when using my glasses my groups have more of a tendency to have horizontal dispersion.
    It’s almost like my glasses are introducing an element of parallax to the scope .
    striker, john m, Swanny and 1 others like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Over the last 4-5 years Ive become a full time glasses wearer.
    The prescription lenses that I have to correct an astigmatism have the effect of distorting the image a fraction when looking through a scope .
    Talking to my optometrist about it she said that it probably is the curvature and type of glass in my prescription glasses not jiving with the multiple lenses in the scope .
    When I’m hunting I just wear my glasses and don’t worry about the distortion , it is very small and not really a problem , but it is noticeable and takes a little getting used too .
    But if I’m shooting targets or doing load development then I take the glasses off and adjust the scope to my old buggered eyes .
    I can’t prove it exactly but I feel that when using my glasses my groups have more of a tendency to have horizontal dispersion.
    It’s almost like my glasses are introducing an element of parallax to the scope .
    I've also found I get the parallax issue as well. Sometimes everything's all messed up, same hold but it's like your looking through the scope from an angle. Also get the issue of glasses fogging when you breath out, glasses not quite sitting right due to stock etc. It's frustrating but the goddamned image in the scope is just too small now without them. Another problem I've found is the focal distance of my prescription glasses is too far forward. To get around this I use a pair of elcheapo reading glasses from supermarket/warehouse as they just work on straight magnification.
    shananah likes this.

You will find your view through the scope will be better.
    It will help your shooting, squinting trying to get a better sight picture isn't good for your shooting.
    I find if I can still manage ok during the day it you haven't been under artificial light, screen time etc but do find wearing them fulltime is good to check gps, phone etc without having to put el cheapos on and off.
    shananah likes this.

I wear glasses to read but not shoot. If I shoot with my glasses I need to reset the focus of the reticle .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fought this problem for a while - have worn glasses since about age 5 or 6 (bad astigmatism / short sighted). never knew otherwise. Went to progressive glasses around age 40 as vision deteriorated both near and far, which made things more complicated.

parallax is a real thing, depending on how you shoulder the rifle, and be aware it can possibly can also cause a shift in POI between standing / prone too as the portion of the lens you look through changes. Ive found i often get a different POI to other people using the same gun. Depends on why you need the glasses in the first place, but if youre going to shoot with them it would worth checking if it has an effect, from different positions.

FYI - progressives are impossible for irons. I eventually had a pair of glasses made especially for shooting after struggling for a long time, and what a f*&%ing revelation! Prescription intended for computer use to give only short range vision, basically arms length + a smidge, and suddenly the front sight is crisper than ive ever thought possible. targets a blur but that doesnt matter. Pistols / rifles, shooting suddenly became a whole lot more fun.

You lucky buggers with good eyes - look after them. you dont know what you got.

Cant see dials clearly on scope anymore but still shoot with glasses off.

If you can get lazer done. glasses are a pain in the ass.

I had a problem that i had an impact shift shooting with no glasses / contacts and shooting with glasses
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I used to shoot and hunt without glasses as my glasses were only for reading but I wore them mostly full time. I used to leave my glasses in my bino harness so I had them on hand if I needed to do something serious, but recently have just going full time glasses so I can see prints leaves and deer sign better. It sucks but it's bearable.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Biggest issue I find with glasses is when I shot my eye is lined up with the scope but the glasses are not. So I have to setup my optics for glasses off.

the pain it the arse thing I'm finding is when your looking straight down and they come off your nose and flop around. was going to take the arms off them and put a piece of elastic on them like googles but the kids said they wouldn't go out in public with me if I did that
    shananah likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Morning folks, I have just started wearing glasses full time. I can still see distance pretty well without them though.

My question is how will this affect my vision through scopes will I need to check at the range to see if it impacts my point of aim?
    Dont wear your glasses when you shoot. Adjust the Ocular on the scope to suit your eyesight.
    tetawa, chainsaw, shananah and 1 others like this.