Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By Missalot

Thread: Leupold CDS

Leupold CDS

I’m looking at getting another scope for my recently rebarrelled Tikka 6x45/6mm 223 .
    I’ve never used the Leupold CDS system and was after some comments/ advice from those that have .
    All I’m wanting in a hunting scenario is to have a scope that I can quickly dial out to 400m max with my chosen load .
    I have scopes that I can dial , but the idea of a dial that has basic distance markings sounds kind of appealing rather than having to go to a ballistic chart in the heat of the moment.
    Apart from the obvious limitations of being load / environmental specific are there other issues with this system.
    400m in this modern world is not far , my uneducated brain says that a system like this should do what I want / need .
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

It’ll work spot on just pick an average temp and average altitude that best match your scenarios and probably don’t get it until you have put 100 down the tube and have run the barrel in and finalised your load . Keep us posted
    BSA270 and TimC like this.

I've used one for years on both my .270 and .308. They work pretty well so long as you have all the correct data for when it is sent away to be marked. Bear in mind the markings are for one load only so if you change loads etc. it will probably not be correct. You would need to check this at different distances. Very good for a quick dial after ranging your animal. Just remember to dial it back after firing.

Work great as long as you get your speed accurate before getting it made. Even better would be verify your load out to 400m before sending the info away for the dial. And at 400m if you do change loads you can usually get away with still using the old dial for hunting purposes, as long as you weren’t drastically changing everything
    STC likes this.