Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree831Likes

Thread: The model 7 in your life

I dont think that the case capacity is much greater it can just handle more pressure and therefore more powder

I tried the new M7 300saum out today. Terrible wx but I was keen.

With factory 165 grn the initial 3 & 5 shot groups were 1.5"- 2" for both Brian and I. Then Brian fired a group with his hand under the fore-end instead of it just resting on the front pad. This shrunk the group to .75" and lowered the point of impact by 1.5". I did the same, and same result.

So I'm going to sand the fore end pressure-point out that Remington use and make sure the barrel is floating. That should make a difference.

The velocity for the 165grn factory Remington was 2852 fps. For my hand loaded 150 grn Speer HC (61 grns 2208) the velocity was 3117. No pressure signs so I will load another batch and push it up a bit. Should get 2k. Out to 400/500 yards I will be quite happy using these.

The recoil was very tolerable. Similar to a 30-06 I thought. No problem firing more that 20 shots (I wanted the brass).

Great trigger.
    7mmsaum, Tikka7mm08, GWH and 2 others like this.

So the barrel is floating nicely now from the recoil lug slot forward. Copy paper slips up nicely. Barrel channel is re-sealed with furniture wax and a coating on the underside of the barrel (this is what I usually do). The action wood inletting and recoil lug slot looks quite tidy so fingers crossed for a good out come.

I really like this rifle.
    7mmsaum, GWH and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Model 7 magnums are a really good combination of size, weight and hitting power.
    7mmsaum, Tikka7mm08 and GWH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    So the barrel is floating nicely now from the recoil lug slot forward. Copy paper slips up nicely. Barrel channel is re-sealed with furniture wax and a coating on the underside of the barrel (this is what I usually do). The action wood inletting and recoil lug slot looks quite tidy so fingers crossed for a good out come.

I really like this rifle.
    Might I suggest that you seal the forearm wood with a better product. While I hate True it does have its place. Water will get in otherwise
    Tahr likes this.

I usually reseal the inside of wood stocks with a clear epoxy that I spread over with my finger covered with a latex glove.that s maintenance free.
    Tahr likes this.

Any one got a aftermarket stock laying around that they would part with (standard contour barrel)?

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Any one got a aftermarket stock laying around that they would part with (standard contour barrel)?
    Does anyone know ANY online retailers other than boyds that will send to nz? Dont mind paying import tax etc but its impossible to find anyone that will send stocks to nz fullstop!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Does anyone know ANY online retailers other than boyds that will send to nz? Dont mind paying import tax etc but its impossible to find anyone that will send stocks to nz fullstop!
    Just ordered a 450 gram fibre glass from Wildcat Composites in Canada . Around NZ $280 plus shipping. Seems great to deal with, but the stocks do require finishing. But I'm up for the bedding, prep and painting (did this in a previous life). Also, can fit two stocks in the same box for shipping, so let me know if you want one.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Just ordered a 450 gram fibre glass from Wildcat Composites in Canada . Around NZ $280 plus shipping. Seems great to deal with, but the stocks do require finishing. But I'm up for the bedding, prep and painting (did this in a previous life). Also, can fit two stocks in the same box for shipping, so let me know if you want one.
    Yeap im keen, do they have a site I can take a look at the stocks?

Gunworks still have one High Tech Synthetic stocks left in Rem 700 (heavy barrel contour) and one Howa short action.

Just jam it into Google. Goigle is smart and will find the website for you. PM me if you like what you see and ill get him to give ship me two.

Previously used Redhawk Rifle for B&C but due to the IITAR they cannot. So i started looking out of the US as thw State Department have obviously miss read this and put blanket ruling on most gun parts

Yeap had a look and I reckon I wouldnt mind one of them, how do I go About paying him?