Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jakewire

Thread: New to Me

New to Me

Yesterday I finally tried out a second hand X-bolt I picked up off Trademe.
    I've heard quite a bit of negative feedback on the X-bolts so I thought I would give my own totally biased opinion as well
    It's a stainless stalker model in .243, so plastic stock. I'm a leftie but this is right handed because poor choice of X-bolt lefties.
    First impressions are good. Plastic stock is firm, the front end doesn't move around like my savage did or the tikka's I have played with.
    Its got a righthand palm swell and fits my shoulder nicely and is well balance with the 22" barrel.
    The trigger is very clean, short pull and I would guess it is around the 2.5lb, although I think it was a bit too crisp and clean for Rushy yesterday.
    The detachable rotary magazine seems to work well and the real complaint about it in the long run will be the inability to reload through the top of the action. I have a soft spot for rotary mags since I had a savage99 some years ago, they always seem to feed better.
    This is the first 60degree bolt throw action I've owned and I don't see me changing back any time soon. It is a smooth action even as being a leftie.
    Test shooting was a bit short as I was resiting almost everything else I own at the same time. Anyway suffice to say it shoots better than me.
    No pics of groups to prove it though as we just kept putting new targets up over the old ones for the different rifles and then Nibblet blew some large holes in the box with his canon .

Anyway Barefoot's Totally Biased Opinion is that if your looking for a step up in rifles the X-bolt is worth a long look.
    It's good enough to me to be retiring my Savage in the new year.
    Now does anyone know how to get some cheap extra mags for them, They $200 for a mag here and they are only US$60 over there . . .

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    All you need do is breathe on that trigger Barefoot.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I have a friend with a 1/2lb trigger on a rifle. He will complain about this one when he tries it.

I went back to my sako with its super light trigger after using another rifle for a while, needless to say it went off before I was ready and I missed the target by a about half a meter.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Cheers Barefoot. It's good to see a bloke happy with his new rifle
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?