Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: New Sabatti Rover 6.5 x 55 review

The long promised range report.

I made two trips over the weekend to the range and finished off the box of PPU FMJ I had and then moved onto the 6.5 x 55 Hornady SST 140g that I'll hunt with until I get to reloading my own.

On the upside, I think this rifle is extremely accurate. Potentially the most accurate I've had. On the downside either barrel heat or barrel dirt throws the rifle off target very very quickly.

Name:  first shots.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  183.6 KB

TARGET LEFT from a clean and cold barrel at 100y on a still day, shots 1 - 3 running left to right away from the bull.
    TARGET RIGHT from a clean and cold barrel at 100y on a still day, shots 1 - 3 running left to right again.

Shots 4, 5, 6 and onwards were all over the place on the right hand side of the target, say within four inches of the bull at worst. They were spreading high and low too, not just laterally.

I suspect it's barrel heat since the barrel is bloody thin and cleaning the barrel didn't seem to make much of a difference to accuracy once it was warm.

It's a hunting rifle so if it shoots like that on every first shot, then bloody good. I won't need shots 2, 3 and 4.

The other interesting factor is the box magazine spring is bloody strong and is pushing the cartridges hard up against the bolt making everything quite tight to operate. Two cartridges is not to bad, three is bad, four is very bad and I never got to the full load of five to find out what happens then. I don't know how to fix that so advice would be appreciated.

I think this might be the end of the Sabatti Rover 6.5 x 55 review. If accuracy changes as it wears in I'll update this. But for now let's call it a first shot wonder and as second shot wanderer.

I had an AR 15 mag that would only load 4 instead of 7, so I kept on cutting coils off the spring till I got 7 in . You might find this a bit drastic. either that or leave the mag loaded with 4 in it for a few weeks and see whether it has freed up at all.

It's one of those load through the breech sort of magazines, with a bottom plate. I did wonder about loading it up with empties and setting it aside for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    It's one of those load through the breech sort of magazines, with a bottom plate. I did wonder about loading it up with empties and setting it aside for a few months.
    Probably the best option.

I'd persevere with the cleaning regime a bit more : simply because I'm pretty sure this model has their poly-blah rifling. Top-end manufacturers use it too, so must be all-good,but maybe needs that break-in procedure-ish..? Good luck, I came sooo close to buying the same,but earlier model,with the traditional rifling, and sort-of wish I had. Great looking rifle.

If it wanders in a certain direction every time that's the bedding isn't it?
    YosemiteSam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    If it wanders in a certain direction every time that's the bedding isn't it?
    Yeah that's what I'd be thinking, horizontal spread is also indicative of inconsistent trigger pull.
    YosemiteSam likes this.

Check your action screws are both tight.
    YosemiteSam likes this.

Awesome suggestions. I'll check the action and the trigger pull.

ebf
    Awesome to see a "new" rifle with iron sights, I approve
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Thanks for this thread YM - It's always good to get an unbiased opinion
    YosemiteSam likes this.

Just thought I'd check in to see what everyone's thoughts are for longer term? I have seen delta mike has quite a substantial sale at the moment that has piqued my interest. I have heard though they do tend to wander after a few consecutive shots but other than than seem like good enough rifles