Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: NZ post ... not moving anything to do with firearms

Big_Les

Angry NZ post ... not moving anything to do with firearms

Hi,
    cant find the right spot for this question .
    I am told that NZ post will not move anything to do with firearms , and I have a stock and a magazine in the USA , that I want to send to NZ . Now i have the right permit for the import , but the exporter is saying that DHL , UPS, and simple US post services wont transport the gear, and even if they did move the gear to NZ , The NZ postal services wont move the gear because they have prohibited all things firearms ?
    So, if all that is the current situation , how is anyone sending anything to and fro ?
    cheers
    les

Quote Originally Posted by LJPRMC View Post
    Hi,
    I am told that NZ post will not move anything to do with firearms , and I have a stock and a magazine in the USA , that I want to send to NZ . Now i have the right permit for the import , but the exporter is saying that DHL , UPS, and simple US post services wont transport the gear, and even if they did move the gear to NZ , The NZ postal services wont move the gear because they have prohibited all things firearms ?
    So, if all that is the current situation , how is anyone sending anything to and fro ?
    cheers
    les
    I have imported rifles into NZ, for personal use, non commercial intentions.
    I used Reloading International in Oregon to ship and they had them sent on Air New Zealand out of Houston. Reloading International will assist if you contact the. They are excellent to deal with.
    Once landed in NZ and cleared by NZ Customs ( i.e. duties, gst paid ) you can either collect yourself from Air NZ or have someone do for you on behalf.
    If you're in this situation and can find no other help to collect from Air NZ conatact me as I might be able to help you.
    Cheers

Hi,
    cheers
    les
    I imported a stock earlier in the year, think it came through Fedex, a mate also imported a stock a month or so ago which came through USPS.
    I don't think shipping from the US is the problem.

Once it gets to NZ it'll be held by customs waiting on your permit, once cleared there you'll have to arrrange your own shipping or collect as NZ post wont ship from there.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Part of the problem with NZ is in the new regs defining 'possession' of items and the requirement to be licensed. It's a bit hard for the courier if they don't know whats in the box. I know that a few of the main transport firms are either no longer or are considering stopping transporting ammo as they need to have a heap more security and logistical requirements in place to carry it and hold it in a depot if it needs to be shifted to another truck for whatever reason.

Which really pisses me off as I believe the price you pay the USA retailer is to your door. NZ Post would get some fraction of that shipping cost somehow yet refuse to deliver. Where does our money go? Alright, maybe not much as a percentage of the overall shipping charged.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I imported a stock earlier in the year, think it came through Fedex, a mate also imported a stock a month or so ago which came through USPS.

Once it gets to NZ it'll be held by customs waiting on your permit, once cleared there you'll have to arrrange your own shipping or collect as NZ post wont ship from there.
    I think if its over a grand customs now expect you to route it via a customs agent. As always run your purchase thru "What's My Duty" to find out what fees including bio, gst, maybe duty you will need to pay. Also if over a grand you will need an importer number, which is easy to get but just another thing needed.
    Stuff I got via FEDEX they paid all fees etc and then I paid them. Stuff from USPS that had gst to pay etc I went to the Custom office at Auckland airport. My items were held at the mail centre just down the road. Mildly inconvenient for me but a bloody piss off if you're a long way away. Also you need to get the sender to ship if possible to your nearest international port of entry, eg Auckland or Christchurch. Having an item stranded at Auckland if you live lower SI is a bitch.
    kristopher and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post

That's because they've had thefts and useless drivers delivery to wrong addresses. Easiest thing for them to say is they are not carrying those items and stress that it a staff safety issue which I partly accept.
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.

Big_Les
    Hi,
    I have used the same company myself . Infact , i have actually spoken by email with Addison on this very job . Initially , the reply was "no problem " , then things went silent . So I wrote again , for no answer . Which has led me to talk with "Firearms Export" Http://www.weexportguns.com . Now the initial quote from them was $175 dollars . Then the problems started ...from www.weexportguns "fedex, Ups, and DHL will not (now) move firearm parts internationally and your "NZ post" wont deliver it either .
    Any thoughts ?
    les

Big_Les
    So, we do know that NZ post wont ship these things ?

Hi,
    I have used the same company myself . Infact , i have actually spoken by email with Addison on this very job . Initially , the reply was "no problem " , then things went silent . So I wrote again , for no answer . Which has led me to talk with "Firearms Export" Http://www.weexportguns.com . Now the initial quote from them was $175 dollars . Then the problems started ...from www.weexportguns "fedex, Ups, and DHL will not (now) move firearm parts internationally and your "NZ post" wont deliver it either .
    Any thoughts ?
    les
    If you're willing to try Reloading International again email Michael Gregg ( Addison's boss ). He might reply more promptly although due to workload not always. Ask them to quote for delivery to the most convenient NZ airport i.e. Auckland or Christchurch although Auckland might be best if shipment originates in Houston.
    Even www.weexportguns should be able to quote you delivery only to your nominated NZ airport. Then best that you organise pickup yourself from that airport.
    I don't know for certain about couriers or NZ Post here not delivering firearms related components but I tend to believe it as I've heard that stated many times.
    As I said above if you can get your items to Auckland airport and need it collected contact me as I will help if I can.

If NZ Post know its a firearms or related part they won't ship it, however they will say they delivered it when your courier (Aramex etc) pick it up from them though, so they get paid......

They won't. Firearms or Weapons are bad juju for them...if they know about it.

I've had to fly to Auckland a few times to rescue rifles and bayonets from Customs/Post jail that I've imported from overseas.
    dogmatix and Micky Duck like this.
    In longrange riflery, trajectory is the pure science part. Gravity is a constant for our purposes.
    Wind is in the art department.
    Light is pure fucking voodoo.

They would do it just fine until after ChCh before everyone wanted to be seen to be doing something. Would be prudent to start bugging certain people to put pressure on them to get their act together again, in a few months.
    dogmatix, sgteval, 40mm and 2 others like this.

You can still get reloading equipment in from the states, and it can be on your door in six days via amazon.

I have some parts in customs at the moment and this is something that I hadn't considered.

I would have thought that at the very least the item could be shipped to my nearest gun shop just like firearms/parts with in NZ.

Also, would the person picking up the part from customs/Auckland airport need to be licensed?

Rich
    If my work annoys me, I cull them