Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Red dot or similar

Red dot or similar

Hey team, looking at options for a bush setup. I see there are basically two price brackets, cheap as and really expensive lol
    With the mount I have I can’t go to a scope so looking at compact options.
    Any recommendations? Do the cheap and nasty actually work? Is spending 1k worth it?

watching with interest..both my pig hunting mates run expensive red dots and they are very impressive ...they have come a long way in last 35 years.
    BSA270 and Noswal like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've got a cheap and nasty that my son bought for paintball Lol. Its missing a screw but I'm tempted to try it.
    I'm actually setting the rifle up for a mate and he'll predominantly be using it although it'll fit my rifle as well.
    I'd expect 100yds would be the absolute extreme, but I'd like to know what others experiences are.

Quote Originally Posted by Noswal View Post
    I've got a cheap and nasty that my son bought for paintball Lol. Its missing a screw but I'm tempted to try it.
    I'm actually setting the rifle up for a mate and he'll predominantly be using it although it'll fit my rifle as well.
    I'd expect 100yds would be the absolute extreme, but I'd like to know what others experiences are.
    I've got a bunch of cheap and nasty red dots sitting in a cupboard, doubt they will ever go on any of my rifles again. Cheap ones are more or less only good for airport and don't really handle recoil well in my experience.

For better ones I run a Aimpoint PRO and a Minox RV1, the Minox is great value for money, it gets used hard and has never needed to be rezerod, battery life also seems very good as I have used it more or less every day for over a year now and I usually turn it on in the morning and off when it goes back into the safe in the evening. The Ainpoint is great too but definitely in the next price bracket up.
    Micky Duck, Noswal and 11mms like this.

I use a couple of Vortex Crossfire II 2 MOA which are excellent and cost me under $300 at the time from Bronco Sport Tauranga. Highly recommend them if you want something good but not at $800+
    Noswal likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

AR7
    Hi if you are lucky you might get a good cheep and nasty one but the adj. screws are sometimes not that flash
    a second hand Aim point would leave them dead .
    regardless of what you buy just look @ the dot first ,some of our eyes just dont see their shape [round ] that good
    Better still a 1-4 scope with a lighted dot is a great choice
    Happy Hunting
    Jhon likes this.

I’ve got a holosun 403r on a single shot 308, was about $480 and it’s proving bloody awesome. Gun gets broken down and reassembled and travels a lot. No issue with holding zero so far and a pleasure to sight in and shoot.
    Noswal likes this.

think i have a burris one in my cupboard that is surplus if interested
    Noswal likes this.

Ive used a few cheapies they werent great but then went hunting with a few brothers and used their equipment there was an aimpoint on top it was next level alright but near 1k wasvout ofvmy budget
    Noswal likes this.

I bought $99 and $199 Nikko Stirling red dot for plinking,
    couldn't tell the difference both feel the same.

I bought them from here ↓
    https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/coll...t-rifle-scopes

Unfortunately, you can't try them as they don't carry them in stock (online shop)
    Noswal and Vault like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AR7 View Post
    Hi if you are lucky you might get a good cheep and nasty one but the adj. screws are sometimes not that flash
    a second hand Aim point would leave them dead .
    regardless of what you buy just look @ the dot first ,some of our eyes just dont see their shape [round ] that good
    Better still a 1-4 scope with a lighted dot is a great choice
    Happy Hunting
    True - if you have astigmatism, the dot looks sort of like a star.

Bushnell TRS25 is good value. Beware of Amazon etc, as there are apparently heaps of cheap and nasty knockoffs.
    Noswal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    True - if you have astigmatism, the dot looks sort of like a star.

Bushnell TRS25 is good value. Beware of Amazon etc, as there are apparently heaps of cheap and nasty knockoffs.
    Thats very interesting, i once bought a cheap halo optic and at night it turned into a star type shape, reading what you wrote above i searched it, bummer hoping its not my eyesight but az I'd mentioned above using an aimpoint it remained a clear tight dot which from memory waz 2 or 3 moa although i didnt understand what that meant but i noticed the aim point was way nicer tha any halo or red dot Id used before..

Older eyes now is my excuse if I need one
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

I have 3 and soon to be 5, Riton Optics Red Dot scopes. I have had zero issues with them and paid more than the $99 they are currently going for. I have two 1 Tactix RRD on pistol caliber carbines that have seen over 1000 rounds each and one 3 Tactix ARD on a suppressed SBR in 300 BO. Not even once have I had to adjust the zero, and both PCCs have been used in local competitions. I have a 3 Tactix EED (brand new) on order for my 5.56 SBR, and I'll also give it a try on a 44mag Desert Eagle and my Turkey shotgun this Spring. I have other red dots as well, but for the price, I do not think these Riton Red Dots can be neat. IMHO.
    Jhon likes this.

Been using aimpoints 20+ years, mostly because of the long battery life and ruggedness. Running a cheap Trijicon RMO now has a wider field of view but the cheaper red now day better battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
    I have 3 and soon to be 5, Riton Optics Red Dot scopes. I have had zero issues with them and paid more than the $99 they are currently going for. I have two 1 Tactix RRD on pistol caliber carbines that have seen over 1000 rounds each and one 3 Tactix ARD on a suppressed SBR in 300 BO. Not even once have I had to adjust the zero, and both PCCs have been used in local competitions. I have a 3 Tactix EED (brand new) on order for my 5.56 SBR, and I'll also give it a try on a 44mag Desert Eagle and my Turkey shotgun this Spring. I have other red dots as well, but for the price, I do not think these Riton Red Dots can be neat. IMHO.
    Where do you buy them?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...