Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Savage 112 Magnum Target 338 Lapua Bolt-Action Rifle

Savage 112 Magnum Target 338 Lapua Bolt-Action Rifle

I am thinking of getting this rifle for it's 338 "Lapuaness"... then in time make my own wooden tactical grip stock as I don't like the stock it has. I will want it for long range target shooting, (I'm a beginner).

Does anyone have experience with this gun? I have read that the bolt might stick with reloads and it is finicky with some brands of cases?

If this is the case, are there things that can be done to negate this... or what other 338 Lapua rifles could I buy for the metal parts only? The more buttery the bolt action, the better.

https://gun.deals/product/savage-112...on-rifle-89999

I have the 110 in 7mmrm and ur right the bolt does get sticky with reloads

It's not what you asked, but what do you consider to be long range?

Because for most beginners making an entry into "long range", it's rarely over 1000m. And a 338 Lapua is just an obscene amount of overkill for that. Unless you are routinely going to be shooting out to a mile and beyond, you'll be much better served by a 6 or a 6.5 something. Easier to shoot, easier to spot what happens down range, MUCH easier on your wallet.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

No way a beginner should be starting with a 338 Lapua unless you want to become recoil sensitive or develop a flinch.
    Trout, 40mm and BradNZL like this.

Well with a decent brake and a decent fitting stock they aren't that bad to shoot. A 12guage shotty can boot more. But, the amount of gas produced can be a shock for someone not used to magnums and very effective muzzle brakes. And, noise is a definite factor with these - with a decent brake they are loud. I really dislike shooting radial braked anything over sandy or pumice areas too.

It's ok, relax everyone... I'm from Northern Ireland, haha.

This won't be the first gun I will shoot. I'll be getting a .308 and a .223 also.

The 338 Lapua is a long term project. I'm just looking for a solid base for my own woodwork.

@ Padox

Is this with certain brands of bullets?

Or do you mean "reloads" as in, bullets you load the powder yourself?

All in all... how do you find the gun? How accurate is it? Other than the "stickiness" how does the bolt feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    It's not what you asked, but what do you consider to be long range?

Because for most beginners making an entry into "long range", it's rarely over 1000m. And a 338 Lapua is just an obscene amount of overkill for that. Unless you are routinely going to be shooting out to a mile and beyond, you'll be much better served by a 6 or a 6.5 something. Easier to shoot, easier to spot what happens down range, MUCH easier on your wallet.
    I'll be wanting to shoot it 1000-1500+ meters.

@eammon shoots ridiculous well have shot deer out to 600 with it I home load for it and every now and then u gotta tap the bolt open got to keep the bolt well oiled otherwise everything works as it should

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    @eammon shoots ridiculous well have shot deer out to 600 with it I home load for it and every now and then u gotta tap the bolt open got to keep the bolt well oiled otherwise everything works as it should
    "shoots ridiculous well"... that's what I want to hear... thanks.

I won't be "relaoding" for a few years to come. So for now I will just buy bullets. Are there any brands, that you know of that better suit the gun/calibre?

Buying 338 bugger that even if u can find it prob $15-$20 a round now have never used factory ammo in my 7

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    Buying 338 bugger that even if u can find it prob $15-$20 a round now have never used factory ammo in my 7
    Yeah, $15 a round. That price will concentrate the mind... sharpish, hehe.

It's looking like I'll be getting into reloading sonner that I was planning.

Yea not many places stock it eather

If you can get ammo with the 285gr ELD-M they work well out to 1100m on deer from my experience. Not tried the 270gr ELD-X ammo. $15 is still cheap meat even if only saving back steaks and back legs.
    Trout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka View Post
    If you can get ammo with the 285gr ELD-M they work well out to 1100m on deer from my experience. Not tried the 270gr ELD-X ammo. $15 is still cheap meat even if only saving back steaks and back legs.
    " $15 is still cheap meat"... that's a great way to look at it.

Although I will use the Lapua for mostly long range target shooting, (at first). Only after I would have it mastered would I even think to shoot something alive with it.