Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Suggestions for a new scope

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    "Factory calibrated turrets" are a wee bit of a sales gimmick.
    You would in my opinion be better off with a MOA turret and ballistic software on a smart phone which will work for any load as long as you know the proper velocity and BC OR get your load sorted and then get@Upland Stalker;? to make you a turret label for that particular load marked in 25 yard increments
    The 223 calibration is very good, based on standard military 223 load. However I also use it with my 308, simply by adjusting the scope to a different zero-in range. The trajectory curves of the 223, 308, 7-08, 30-06 are very similar, almost parallel actually between 200 and 700 yards / metres if you just adjust your zeroing in range to get a ballistic curve match. There are also mils marked clearly on the turret so you can use your phone or a cheat sheet with the mils if you wish. Pretty simple and convenient actually.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    4.5x14 leupy vx3 , either with or without the side focus depending on budget, [with if you possibly can].
    fine crosshair reticle and when you can afford it send it to leupold and get them to put M1 turrets on it
    I've had two like this, sold them on for other scopes but both did the job very well.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I am leaning towards the leupold vx1 at the moment

Caretaker
    The VX-3 in 3.5-10x 40 with cds turret would suit your application and any other rifle you upgraded to.

Buying once is actually cheaper than getting upgrades later on
    mikee and rossi.45 like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

VX-6 2-12x42 CDS-ZL
    7mmsaum and mikee like this.

given your budget ($1k) suggest you look around for a good 2nd hand scope in 3-12x40 or 2.5 -10x40 or 2-12x42 ($ here probably over $1k) or similar. Some brands/models to think about Burris Select 3 -12x44 w ballistic reticle (older model now but good glass), Vortex Viper PST 2.5 -10x44 (illum retcile in MOA or milrad), Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 or 2.5-10x42, Weaver 2.5-10x50 (some have illum reticle), VX3 3.5-10x42 w CDS or Zeiss HD5 2 -10x42. There's some one selling a 2.5-16x42 Bushnell 6500 on tardMe at moment for $800 - its a bit dinged up but might be worth a look.

Have you had a look at the Sightron range? Not sure if it would be in your budget, but mine is rather nice has better glass than my Swaro as well as better eye relief
    Anyway off topic here but how do you get on with getting ammo and kit out to the island, with NZ post not playing ball?

Zeiss all day get a good secondhand conquest for your price range

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    The 223 calibration is very good, based on standard military 223 load. However I also use it with my 308, simply by adjusting the scope to a different zero-in range. The trajectory curves of the 223, 308, 7-08, 30-06 are very similar, almost parallel actually between 200 and 700 yards / metres if you just adjust your zeroing in range to get a ballistic curve match. There are also mils marked clearly on the turret so you can use your phone or a cheat sheet with the mils if you wish. Pretty simple and convenient actually.
    And then wind em down instead of up
    Woody likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    The VX-3 in 3.5-10x 40 with cds turret would suit your application and any other rifle you upgraded to.

Buying once is actually cheaper than getting upgrades later on
    +1
    That is exactly my thought. You can t go wrong with that 3.5x10x40 CDS and you can even find some second hand. You have option of getting a custom engraved turret for your particular load or conditions. I personally stay away from Zeiss , their top end scope are good but way above your budget, and the lower price range, although good glass , is mechanically not always that reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Have you had a look at the Sightron range? Not sure if it would be in your budget, but mine is rather nice has better glass than my Swaro as well as better eye relief
    Anyway off topic here but how do you get on with getting ammo and kit out to the island, with NZ post not playing ball?
    Simple answer, u dont! Have to stock up when you go to town

Cheers for all the input guys, given me lots to chew over.

Seems there are as many opinions of scopes as there are calibres!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Simple answer, u dont! Have to stock up when you go to town
    Bugger guess that's the price you pay for living on such an awesome island

for under $1000, at the moment you cannot go past hunting and fishing..... the new vx3i in 4.5-14x40 bloody good for the price and come with a factory fitted CDS dial.
    7mmsaum and Danny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Have a look at Leupold AR Mod 1 with TMR or Mildot reticle and P5 mils turrets. Top turret is factory calibrated for .223 as well as mils. Also available in illuminated model. I have one with mildots and it has great glass and most other features of VX2's. it is 3-9 and not heavy. 40mm objective lens. Retails less than $800 from memory, with lifetime warranty.
    Yep I've got one of these a on a rem 700 .243. Cant fault it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk