Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fssprecision

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaners questions

Ultrasonic cleaners questions

Picking the brains of the collective.

How have you found them for cleaning suppressors?
    Any recommendations for what to look for or avoid?
    Any recommendations for where to buy from?

Looking for use on centre fire suppressors. Other than getting a basket that is big enough, my understanding is 40khz frequency or higher? Unsure on how the power ratings work or what the sweet spot is.

Thanks all

Have used mine for everything just a cheapie to see how it works and does everything, carbys, injectors, solenoids you name it ive probably had a crack at getting it working again by putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner and man its gets to places you just cant access on some parts and does an amazing job depending on what chemical you use in the tank. I see now you can get 4/5/6/7/8L models cheap enough on trademe - get as big as you can a tank because you will find more and more uses for it once you buy one.

I have had one of these for years, still working great. One of the biggest things I noticed was the choice of cleaning agent you use in the tank, I found simple green the best

https://www.amtech.co.nz/category/we...ers-distillers
    Carbine likes this.

I love mine. I throw my revolvers in them after competition shoots. Works great, take grips off and in they go.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Simple Green and heat is the go
    I jazzed up a few ARs around 3 years ago that way. Zapped the shit out of them, good air dust, black paint, 90% condition sir. Hornady do one that you can fit a complete rifle into, with the upper and lower assemblies split. Incredible how much gunge came out in the first 5 seconds
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Delta Mike has the Hornady Sonic cleaners on "special" at moment. Don't know if they are a good price or product but they were in todays specials email.

I started with a cheap and cheerful from Jaycar years ago, it could only do small batches and you had to push the button every time you wanted to add an extra 30s to the timer, the longest it could be set to was 7.5 minutes. So every 7.5 minutes you have to push a button 17 times if you wanted to run it for longer.

I ended up buying an RCBS one, it’s the same as the DR Sonic on Tardeme, same tooling different colour, different logo. Cleans the same but the set and forget is great. It also has a heater. Draining the gunk through a hose from the bottom is much easier than tipping as per the old one. A few things there that can be hard to for see being a hassle.

I find the bigger capacity Jaycar cleaner is no where near as good as the small one for cleaning.
    IMO go with DM and the Hornady ones on sale.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I’ve just got a basic one from j car had it maybe 10 years and I should upgrade but it still does the job
    For cleaning Solution it depends on what you are cleaning
    For brass I like Something with a little bit of acidity my favourite is a splash of dish soap and a splash of plane old white vinegar (not too much)

Put a dpt in there one day and it removed some of the Anodising so I wouldn’t just that for that job
    Best thing would be to ask the Manufacture what they recommend for there product

LBD
    great for suppressor cleaning

Thanks for the info team. Gives me a few things to consider

If I were you I would just get the DR sonic on Tardeme, minimal loss if on the off chance it’s not a keeper and in that scenario you will be aware of what you do really want.

Ideally, heated tub, degas & sweep function all helps improve the effectiveness of the ultrasonic cleaner. Sweep varies the frequency to cover a wider variety of contaminants. heated tubs are great too, parts dry rather quickly when they come out of tub at 70 deg c followed by boiling water rinse.

My aliexpress one has done quite a few hours and still going strong.

Biggest thing is to not forget you have a part in them, wrecks coatings really quickly if you leave a suppressor in them over the weekend...