Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Wanted. Sako in 6ppc or 6br

That Cooper......

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    I let it go for $2300 NZ
    Attachment 241247, found these two targets as indicative. shooting off front bag only.
    3 die set, 100 new Nosler .222 mag brass, 160 (2-4) fired Nosler brass, curranty sitting on 66 loaded rounds, 70 BTip, 55 Btip, 60 Serria Hpoint,
    Flat base 75gr giving by far the best accuracy,
    rifle is 7lbs with Z3 4x12x50,
    Rifle is 1-14 twist, so limited to a flat base bullet, in the 75-80gr range, rifle is 7lbs fitted with a Z3 3x12x50 BT, scope is not included in price, if someone wants a package deal, I want replacement value for scope, (1200 Cad) as I have a 5.6x50R Blaser K95 barrel coming.
    Oh bugger for me, it's a single shot aye?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Oh bugger for me, it's a single shot aye?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Yep, both coopers are,

6ppc

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Nice rifle, video is a year old, worth a watch

I bought this rifle few months ago, can't get it to shoot worth a damn at this stage. haha

If it was truly made by Tony Titheridge and hasnt been Bubba’d since, I’d be surprised it doesnt shoot.

Having said that, the old sako isnt a benchrest action. Its designed for small game hunting or positional shooting so 0.5 moa on a good day and not expecting teens.

Post a few groups with reloading data alongside groups youve shot with a known good rifle the same day.
    bloke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    If it was truly made by Tony Titheridge and hasnt been Bubba’d since, I’d be surprised it doesnt shoot.

Having said that, the old sako isnt a benchrest action. Its designed for small game hunting or positional shooting so 0.5 moa on a good day and not expecting teens.

Post a few groups with reloading data alongside groups youve shot with a known good rifle the same day.
    Had another crack with it today with better results after going from 65vmax to 65 berger, was new barrel with zer rounds through it when i got it so barrel probably settling in a bit now.
    best group with berger 65gr target was just under .5 moa for 5 shots.Name:  IMG_0467.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  553.2 KB
    Bagheera likes this.

Name:  XONR7910.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  3.45 MBName:  XONR7910.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  3.45 MB

I've had the best accuracy with a flat base bullet, in the 6ppc, 6x47 and 6x45,
    in the ppc, 62-65gr mostly, but every 1-14 twist rifle, I've owned has shot the 75gr Serria (1510) bullet extremely well, suitable for deer at reasonable ranges.
    bloke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post

Tony Titheridge would probably beg to differ on a statement that a L461 is merely a hunters gat for boofing foxes,bunnys,etc that'll go 1/2".He showed me not in a bragging way a group punched by a vanilla trebly that was well better than one ragged hole.If only I could shoot that good.If i did ,I'd go looking for the other 4 flyers from the 5 shot group.
    matagouri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    Tony Titheridge would probably beg to differ on a statement that a L461 is merely a hunters gat for boofing foxes,bunnys,etc that'll go 1/2".He showed me not in a bragging way a group punched by a vanilla trebly that was well better than one ragged hole.If only I could shoot that good.If i did ,I'd go looking for the other 4 flyers from the 5 shot group.
    i've only just started load development with this rifle and not using the go-to accuracy powders as i don't have any haha. These groups were also shot with harris bipod and rear bag.
    the cases are not an issue as they were formed to spec for this rifle.
    pretty much only the shooter that needs to improve now. haha

Worth noting that unless the rifle was a single shot from the factory and has an orginal Sako target trigger, it's not worth much.

Might be worth tracking down a Canjar trigger, although it seems that some owners would prefer to be buired with them.

Another important detail to note, Sako's own 6mmPPC- USA is not the same as 6PPC. Using brass and dies meant for a proper 6PPC in the former may cause issues.

this rifle was/is single shot from factory with a sako match grade trigger, 4oz atm

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Worth noting that unless the rifle was a single shot from the factory and has an orginal Sako target trigger, it's not worth much.

Might be worth tracking down a Canjar trigger, although it seems that some owners would prefer to be buired with them.

Another important detail to note, Sako's own 6mmPPC- USA is not the same as 6PPC. Using brass and dies meant for a proper 6PPC in the former may cause issues.
    There are many versions of 6PPC, most custom versions are used in Benchrest and are resized with custom dies.
    The Sako 6PPC is a 6mm PPC-USA chamber and Redding make dies for this.

If you used 6PPC-USA dies to resize 6PPC cases from a Benchrest rifle it wouldn't do much at all
    You probably wouldn't be able to run as much pressure in the Sako as they run in Benchrest rifle either, so shooters are running over 30gr of 133 in their Benchrest rifles.
    I wouldn't try that in a Sako