Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Another found rifle...

Another found rifle...

I wonder if this is still there - Ruahines. Have others' seen it?

Name:  P1030508_zpsd50acb81.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  7.79 MB
    Norway, Nathan F, Trout and 10 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Whats written on the plate?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Whats written on the plate?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    "In loving memory of PRATT""David John" then dates 1945-2010 etc.
    Last edited by Tahr; 26-10-2023 at 09:49 AM.
    199p, HNTMAD and Micky Duck like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Last line....R.I.P, who's memorial and what connection they had to that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Last line....R.I.P, who's memorial and what connection they had to that area?
    Pratt is a local surname.
    - Rumi

I recognize the spot but have never seen it? Was last there 2 years ago if i'm correct.

Dave Pratt late of Featheston.ex Internal Affairs Dept/Forest Service culler.Originally Set up the Orongorongo Possum Research Stn and did the initial studies on coons there in the 50's-60's.Lost his life white baiting drowned on the Ruamahunga.RIP.
    Nathan F, Tahr, Trout and 3 others like this.

was still there about 3 years ago should be up there in a few weeks will cheek
    Sika 8 likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Back in the 60's when meat hunting 2 mates and I cut the track up from Thompsons to the tops and the one that starts at the creek half way up and goes up to the memorial rifle. There had been an old horse track from the old skin hunting days but it was impassable, especially through the leatherwood. We put in a lot of hours doing those tracks.

Then when Thompsons was sold and access got shut up we cut the one that goes up from Scanlon creek and links up with the ridge track. We had a tent camp at the broadleaf tree where the leatherwood starts on the ridge track but after the meat hunting days eventually everything got pinched which soured things a bit.

Good times. Not sure I will ever make it back up there but I have some wonderful memories.

Name:  Picture639.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  42.3 KB
    Norway, Nathan F, Trout and 15 others like this.
    - Rumi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    was still there about 3 years ago should be up there in a few weeks will cheek
    If it is possible to carry a bag of premixed concrete up there and make a cairn with the rifle concreted in that would be pretty cool
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If it is possible to carry a bag of premixed concrete up there and make a cairn with the rifle concreted in that would be pretty cool
    I wouldn't touch someone else memorial, but if they needed some concrete carried up that's not problem.
    Tahr, kristopher, Gibo and 5 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Good times. Not sure I will ever make it back up there but I have some wonderful memories.
    Something that you did Bruce, which many didn't (including me), was take celluloid photos.

That's priceless really.

Today, we all take several photos of the same thing with our phones, and end up with thousands of photos every year, which we might chuck on a hard drive and hope we don't lose somehow! Lots of people we all know don't backup and then lose their phones. Not good.

I've been pretty good at archiving hunting photos in the last several years, going back to about 2005 when I first had a decent smart phone. But man how I wish I had done what you've done from way back in the day.

I don't have a single photo of me and my Grandpa hunting fallow in Sussex when I was a kid, which really hurts. Nothing from the rough shooting days with my mates in the 80s, and only two photos of all the hunting over several years in NW Transvaal in South Africa. That really grates.

Look after the celluloid and make sure they have a "forever" home.
    Tahr, Seventenths, erniec and 4 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Something that you did Bruce, which many didn't (including me), was take celluloid photos.

That's priceless really.

Today, we all take several photos of the same thing with our phones, and end up with thousands of photos every year, which we might chuck on a hard drive and hope we don't lose somehow! Lots of people we all know don't backup and then lose their phones. Not good.

I've been pretty good at archiving hunting photos in the last several years, going back to about 2005 when I first had a decent smart phone. But man how I wish I had done what you've done from way back in the day.

I don't have a single photo of me and my Grandpa hunting fallow in Sussex when I was a kid, which really hurts. Nothing from the rough shooting days with my mates in the 80s, and only two photos of all the hunting over several years in NW Transvaal in South Africa. That really grates.

Look after the celluloid and make sure they have a "forever" home.
    Off topic, but this is my all time favourite 'photo that my wife took. 1974. Me and the 2 lads.

Name:  Picture496.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  67.9 KB
    - Rumi

Craig looks like craig
    Tahr, outdoorlad, Makros and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I wouldn't touch someone else memorial, but if they needed some concrete carried up that's not problem.
    yes family and friends only to do those honours unless family ask you
    dannyb likes this.