Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By thejavelin

Thread: Bigger goats....

Bigger goats....

Got away for my last armed trip north for the year, I'm lucky enough to know someone with land access off the back of a few farms that borders native bush. I like to get away every couple of months for a sanity check and grab some goat rear wheels for the slow cooker.
    Drove up into the land and whilst out on a point glassing the valley below, saw a very large red goat walk across a clearing...... we crept down the valley in the truck making as much noise as possible, running over every log, scraping against every branch - even managed to accidentally toot the horn. Stopped short of the area where the deer was seen and I crept ahead with my mate trailing about 30mtrs behind.
    I started walking up the siding where I suspected the deer had headed, when I heard a single whistle from behind, looked back to see my mate with rifle to shoulder - few seconds later 'bang' and there was that smacking sound of a good hit - suddenly 2 deer exploded out of the bush only a few meters from me. I swung my rifle and could see a exit hole on one of them, so tried to stay calm and lead on the second one - they saw me and split and I squeezed a round off. Good solid hit on the 2nd one.
    Thats bbq's sorted for the summer - so happy, and a unexpected bonus on a goat hunting trip.
    Not bad for a couple of cheapo JW103's - I'm really enjoying the 7.62x39, gives my shoulder a nice rest from my normal .308, but still has plenty of knockdown. And being the miser that I am, just using cheap steel Tula or Barnual - nothing fancy.
    You'll see the exit wound - passed through the shoulder on an angle....
    Name:  DSCF7207.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  1.10 MB
    Pengy, deer243, 308 and 3 others like this.

So is north of the north or north of the south...? Cheers for the write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All hail the mighty Norinco!

@northdude's quite keen on one of these for his daughter to grow into - and I can't to be honest see an issue with that... Mind you I have lent him Accurizing and maintenance book which I think will make it even more tricked out..

I also like the mention of the very large Goats... Classic! Good luck is what you find or stumble across when you're out there doing it.... Hmmmm there's maybe something in that !!

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    So is north of the north or north of the south...?
    Mid nth Island - top end of the Wairarapa.

northdude
    [QUOTE=Carpe Diem;420992]@northdude's quite keen on one of these for his daughter to grow into - and I can't to be honest see an issue with that... Mind you I have lent him Accurizing and maintenance book which I think will make it even more tricked out..

Ive been thinking about one be a
    good little bush gun in x39 whats it group like

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Ive been thinking about one be a
    good little bush gun in x39 whats it group like
    My mates getting about a 50cent sized clover leaf at 50m with cheap military fmj's - I've not really punched paper other than to sight it in, but I'm happily head shooting goats at ok distances. So does minute of animal.