Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree60Likes
  • 41 Post By mawzer308
  • 2 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Black Rabbit
  • 1 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By ANTSMAN
  • 1 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By Sideshow
  • 6 Post By mawzer308
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 1 Post By Lucky
  • 2 Post By JohnDuxbury
  • 1 Post By GdaRock

Thread: BSA resurrection

BSA resurrection

So as a quick background, I recently inherited this rifle from my wife’s side of the family. It originally was her grandads and it has been looked after by her uncle until recently, when he gave it to me, as he knew it would get some use. It has remained dormant for some 30 odd years in his safe and yesterday the old BSA .308 finally got to go for a hunt.

I was fortunate enough to knock off early from work and the weather was reasonable, so I quickly got some gear together, chucked the dog in the dog box and off we went down the road to a handy spot in the Kaimanawas. Parking up there was no one else there so I had the place to myself, not a bad start. The wind was in our favour so we began to stalk along a nice terrace with good open bush above the river. About 20 minutes in Zoe my Lab started to pick up some scent so we slowed down and carefully scanned the surroundings. Nothing was sighted and no significant scent trail found so we continued on. Another 15 or so minutes and we came to a nice open clearing, I should’ve sat down and watched it for a bit but Zoe didn’t really show any interest so, I cautiously carried on. Sure enough, a hind broke cover from some fern and raced off into the bush, moral of the story stop, look and listen often when bush stalking!

Kicking myself for a lapse in concentration, we carried on and it wasn’t long before Zoe started to wind scent and indicate strongly off to our right. We slowly stalked in to another little opening which looked ideal so we sat and waited. Zoe was furiously scenting the air and trembling, something was near. I chambered a round and sat there eagerly waiting on half cock. Sure enough a Sika yearling feed out at roughly 40m, I closed the bolt aligned the sights and fired. The shot felt good so we went in to confirm the kill. Sure enough there was a Sika hind, she had run about 50m from where she was shot. A great result and special moment for the family, I quickly boned her out and walked back to the truck, then drove home back in time for dinner, happy days!

Name:  20220920_171704.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  3.66 MB
    dogmatix, Nathan F, Tahr and 38 others like this.

Nice one, open sights too!!
    Micky Duck and mawzer308 like this.

Probably, this is the first time I saw people hunting with iron sight on deer. Nice done!! I have really given a thought of buying a sako 308 or 223, or a k98, or maybe Remington M700 BOL and hunt with iron sight.
    mawzer308 and Sidetrack like this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Nice one, open sights too!!
    Yip I enjoy getting back to basics with the open sights, good fun!

Probably, this is the first time I saw people hunting with iron sight on deer. Nice done!! I have really given a thought of buying a sako 308 or 223, or a k98, or maybe Remington M700 BOL and hunt with iron sight.
    I wouldn't overlook an old Husqvarna in good condition, great rifles.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

excellent!
    mawzer308 likes this.

It’s great to challenge your self every now and then, good stuff!
    mawzer308 likes this.

@mawzer308 got an more pics of the rifle. Serial number etc? Cheers.

Mines still knock em over
    mawzer308 likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

@Sideshow made some time in the 1950's according to the serial number, likely a hunter or viscount.

Name:  20220920_213110.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  2.13 MB
    Makros, Dreamer, Sideshow and 3 others like this.

Beauty mate
    mawzer308 likes this.

nice work , is that Jap skinny or just the photo making it look that way ?
    mawzer308 likes this.

Yeah she was skinny, average to below average condition. Fairly common coming out of winter.

Congratulations on your new rifle and a good deer. The rifle is a BSA Viscount. (Hunters were all mini action .222's) In the USA called a BSA Royal.

Ive had BSA Imperials in .270, and I always wanted a Viscount in 7x57 but never found one with a good barrel. The BSA I have left is a Majestic fwt in .308, push feed, not a Mauser action like yours.

They are great rifles. If you want to put a scope on it, Gunworks in Canterbury can machine CZ550 scope rings with the correct recoil stop to fit.
    sharps no 1 and mawzer308 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    Congratulations on your new rifle and a good deer. The rifle is a BSA Viscount. (Hunters were all mini action .222's) In the USA called a BSA Royal.

Ive had BSA Imperials in .270, and I always wanted a Viscount in 7x57 but never found one with a good barrel. The BSA I have left is a Majestic fwt in .308, push feed, not a Mauser action like yours.

They are great rifles. If you want to put a scope on it, Gunworks in Canterbury can machine CZ550 scope rings with the correct recoil stop to fit.
    @JohnDuxbury @garyp in Napier has a 7x57 viscount Barreled action ,,,,,

I read that he said he doesnt have a bolt though. I dont think a Mauser bolt would work.

Awesome work, handy having a pooch to wind them for you. Well trained pooch and great shooting with the open sights.
    mawzer308 likes this.