Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Meat Eater on Netflix

Been following Steve Rinella for a few years now, listen to his Podcasts too, couple weeks back he devoted a big segment to talking about the Tahr cull situation here. I like his philosophy on hunting and life in general, seen a video where he sits down with a bunch of hardcore vegans and puts his case across and by the time he had finished speaking they all seemed to have a new found respect for his way of thinking, really intelligent bloke. His buddy Ryan "the bro with the mo" Callaghan is also worth following.
    199p, Rich007, Cordite and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I quite like his 'dry' sense of humour too
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Quite entertaining but yeah you get the feeling alot of the "hunts" are animals being fed to attract them to blinds or canned hunts, still a good show and some interesting stuff worth watching
    I would strongly disagree. Some of the hunts are that because that's the way yanks hunt whitetail and even sika.

I really don't see that the hunts are canned, they do some pretty extreme stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I would strongly disagree. Some of the hunts are that because that's the way yanks hunt whitetail and even sika.

I really don't see that the hunts are canned, they do some pretty extreme stuff
    hey don't get me wrong I like the programme but when you see footage of people shooting from blind with a bail of hay outside and deer feeding on it that just isn't my cup of tea, granted the rest is pretty good and yes he has some great values and a great sense of humour all in all the show is pretty well done.
    I also didn't really like the leopard hunt in I think it was the last season and you can't argue that was a baited hunt no other way to put it.
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    hey don't get me wrong I like the programme but when you see footage of people shooting from blind with a bail of hay outside and deer feeding on it that just isn't my cup of tea, granted the rest is pretty good and yes he has some great values and a great sense of humour all in all the show is pretty well done.
    I also didn't really like the leopard hunt in I think it was the last season and you can't argue that was a baited hunt no other way to put it.
    My point isn't that they aren't baited or lured hunts, it's that in the areas he partakes in these hunts that is the prevalent hunting culture.

He isn't choosing to do a lured hunt because he wants to up his chances of a kill, but merely because those hunts are representative of the area and species.

For much of America, hunting a small plot of land from a tree stand with some sort of lure or crop to attract animals is the only easily accessible hunt.

I don't see it as 'canned' hunting at all.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Cordite and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    My point isn't that they aren't baited or lured hunts, it's that in the areas he partakes in these hunts that is the prevalent hunting culture.

He isn't choosing to do a lured hunt because he wants to up his chances of a kill, but merely because those hunts are representative of the area and species.

For much of America, hunting a small plot of land from a tree stand with some sort of lure or crop to attract animals is the only easily accessible hunt.

I don't see it as 'canned' hunting at all.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    yup fair enough
    Nick-D and Cordite like this.

I have been subscribed to his YouTube channel / Netflix/ Podcast for quite some time .
    The Podcast is the best followed by Netflix, then YouTube.
    He is smarter / brighter / more educated / eloquent and just more outdoor savvy than 99% of all other hunting shows .
    Yes he comes at any situation from an American point of view, but tell me you guys dont Antipodean everything you look at .

Ken
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

LOC
    Steve’s stocks have just soared in my books

Original comment from the Vegan was in response to someone posing with a bull elk

Fantastic response from Steve there. What a slap down.

This thread got me into series 7 and got me all worked up again about Alaska (if I don’t go before I’m too old then that will be considered a major fail). But the episodes that I really really enjoyed were the ones in Guyana (9,10,11). Holy crap you wouldn’t get me walking around with bare feet in that place. But what an experience, man the fishing is awesome, the hand crafted arrows and bows were just beautiful. Really got me thinking about some of the cool places in the world. Would love to go there and experience that kind of river trip with his very cool guiding friends. Steve is lucky to have met them, and wise to have nurtured the relationship. Would be great to see him reciprocate and take the brothers to somewhere cold and full of huge elk!
    LOC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Been following Steve Rinella for a few years now, listen to his Podcasts too, couple weeks back he devoted a big segment to talking about the Tahr cull situation here. I like his philosophy on hunting and life in general, seen a video where he sits down with a bunch of hardcore vegans and puts his case across and by the time he had finished speaking they all seemed to have a new found respect for his way of thinking, really intelligent bloke. His buddy Ryan "the bro with the mo" Callaghan is also worth following.
    I'd be interested if anyone has a link to that episode. I'd love to be better at persuading instead of just arguing.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

This is what I assume Ryan meant.

https://youtu.be/J2N0Utg7KYE

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    This is what I assume Ryan meant.

Yes, that must be the one. Worth watching. His respect for Vegans is what I think won the other guy over. Maybe we could learn from him on this forum?
    dannyb likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Well said @Cordite. A recent example on here which started out relatively humorously turned into an embarrassing juvenile slugfest that I wish the admin would delete.
    dannyb likes this.