Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Teaching them the way!! My Daughters first hunt

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar

Teaching them the way!! My Daughters first hunt

I have been talking about taking my daughter (Tahlia) out hunting for the last 6 months or so, she was as keen as since about 4 years old but those little legs just didn't have the endurance so she got told by dad how about when your 5 you can go for your first hunt.
    Now busy life and way to many hobbies my daughter is now 5 and a half and keen as mustard to come out with dad.
    A call made to the station owner and a bit of prep talk during the week and we are on our way "the first hunting trip with dad"
    she was so excited i couldn't get a word in the whole way down, apparently ladies have to get out a lot more words that fellas and i sure heard a few that trip
    We parked up at spot X and headed up to a nice viewing face where i know there are a few deer hanging around, with a few stops, the odd lollie for motivation and a lot more words we got to the top of the hill. Binos up and "you beauty" 6 deer on the side of the hill (just to far away 700yards) a plan was hatched to get closer, some more snacks for energy and we were away again.
    Halfway up the hill i felt a stiff breeze on my back and think o crap i thats not good!!! We marched up the hill, only to get to the top with no deer to be seen.
    This is where i had to give the "this is hunting and ya can't get a deer every time" speech. She was ok with it and we took in some awesome views on the side of the hill while we sat down and ate yet more snacks. On the way down we spotted a couple of deer under spotlight (maxtoch) but they were too far away, the little legs were getting tired and to be fair so were mine.
    Dinner had, camp set up, and off to bed at 11pm, Tahlia's famous last words were "don't worry dad we will get a deer tomorrow" haha no pressure aye!! lights were out as soon as the head hit the pillow.
    4.50am Alarm and she was up and about ready to go. I somehow managed to burn the porridge and Tahlia sure let me know it tasted Burnt (mum wouldn't have done that) haha whoops!! Snacks topped up and off to viewing point X.
    4 deer were spotted as the sun came up and it was awesome letting her find the deer herself in the binos, we ran through another plan to get closer, surely this time we should be good. After a bit of a walk again we come round the corner to were the deer were before and they had gone again, and I'm thinking to myself what the heck is going on!! Keeping our chins up we stalked round the edge of the hill 4 deer pop out and are moving rather quickly. Im guessing they saw movement and got a scare, they ran out of view so we bolted around the side of the hill hoping like heck that they would stop and feed before the headed into the bush.
    Easing our way over the crest of the hill and i spot them all feeding BINGO!! I set the rifle up ranged them at 343yards and gave the binos to Tahlia to be chief spotter. In all the haste i forgot to video it but can't change that now. I set up for the shot and just before i shoot i get this DAD pssst DAD..........are you going to shoot it or what?? haha I took a breathe and sent the pill flying, perfect lung heart shot the deer bolted 10m then flopped over dead as!! whaaahoooo!! I turn around to the biggest smile i have seen in a long time. Hi-fives all round!! I had to hold her back otherwise there would have been a lot of falls as we made our way down to the deer. Tahlia wasn't real keen on the gutting side of "shooting a deer" but I'm sure she will be in there doing it in no time. After all the adrenaline and excitement had worn off and the huffing and puffing of carrying a deer out came to an end, i got to teach her how we skin the deer and get it ready to be taken to the butchers so it can end up on the BBQ and in our tummies.
    All packed up and time to head home we had 2 very happy people in the truck and one very proud Dad, one thing that was slightly different is there weren't a lot of words coming from the back seat on the way home as i think the 6hrs sleep and a lot of walking took its toll . All in all it was an awesome experience, something very special and i will remember it forever, as I'm sure she will.
    hope this encourages dads to get their kids out there and enjoy doing what you love with them.

Philipo, 7mmsaum, Shootm and 35 others like this.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Good on you. Love the look on her face, My 6 year old tramps with me and now also wants to come out hunting with me, this encourages me. (Yeah!!)

Nicely done, love seeing kids being taught about the outdoors, thanks for the post.

Nice. My daughter is 12 now and she's been hunting rabbits with me since she was 3. Consequently she's a good shot, is confident when handling firearms and has an appreciation for animals and wildlife. Tahlia will learn heaps from her trips with Dad and only good things can come from it.

Keep it up.

Awesome! Great memories!

o for awesome, that was great

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Good shit Burt
    burtonator likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Pure awesomeness

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Awesome stuff.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Very cool. Both my kids have given me so much pleasure as hunting buddies and daughters are so special.

:-)
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Very good. Well done.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Well done mate, awesome
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nice one Mate

Can't wait to take my Daughter out with me, she is daddy's little shadow, and it breaks my heart to leave her behind when I hunt, she loves being outdoors and shoots pretty well already (with the .22 that is ).

she just needs to get a little older (another year and she can tag along )

You can't get better than that well done both of you.