Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By MSL
  • 1 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By Savage1
  • 1 Post By mudgripz

Thread: 4WD Ute to $18k - Rodeo, Triton, Colorado - what are your owner experiences?

4WD Ute to $18k - Rodeo, Triton, Colorado - what are your owner experiences?

I'm helping a youngster who recently had his Safari SWB stolen. Looking at a 4WD ute this time and max budget is $18k. Mostly on road but will eventually be fitted with muds, snorkel, suspension lift for moderate offroad outings. To about 220ks, diesel.

We've looked at old Cruisers, Pajeros, 1-kz series Prados etc but have come down to this ute range. Mitsi Triton/Challengers, Rodeos, Colorados. Rodeos (4JH1 motor?) and Colorados (4JJ1 - from memory) are both isuzus with holden badge. Quite good rep with sturdy engines - always a few issues with any truck. Triton has mostly the 2477cc turbo motor, though some with 3.2? Couple of examples:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...3?bof=oH1P7zS1

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...8?bof=oH1P7zS1

What are your experiences of these three as owner, driver or mechanic? Would appreciate experienced comment. Key questions are: drivetrain (motor/gbox/transfer case/diffs) robustnessness, CV/steering/suspension strength, availability of parts these days, and mechanical reliability up to and over 200ks.

Thanks

The era of Mitsi you are likely to be looking at in that price range had known issues with electronics and electrical systems. Biggest problem with that is the issues caused mechanical and performance issues and were hard to resolve - the pesky limp mode dramas.

The Isuzu is likely to be the pick of the litter for the vehicles you list, and the Isuzu does seem to have a reasonable rep for being reliable if thirsty and slow.

Availability of parts is good for Isuzu and Mitsi, Holden can get a lot of the mechanicals from the Isuzu equivalent but there are some model specific parts and I'm not thinking that dealer closing will improve the supply situation going forwards.

The drivetrains and steering are all relatively similar on these vehicles, none are built to the strength of the old saffa's and won't stand for the same use(abuse). Mechanical reliability is the same - anything over 200,000 on these and you are on the downhill slide. Mostly fuel systems, cooling, timing, clutches if fitted and used for towing, and suspension/steering. Factor in a rust check too!

Edit: any reason you've excluded the BT50's (pre the newer ranger-twin shape which would be the equivalent to the PJ Ranger with the 3.0L that was superseded in about 2011)? Reason I ask is the Mazda version is basically the same vehicle but cheaper than the ranger, and those things were as close to unkillable as you'll get in the modern utes. Way more reliable than the later version anyway!

I learnt the hard way about the mission 4d56 motor

2011 or older BT50......just flee as fast as you can!!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yes - am told the newer Mazdas are in fact isuzu D-maxs with a different skin, but this youngster has max $18k = older.

At this point we're thinking the earlier isuzu based rodeo or colorados are best option. The Rodeo 4JH1 is no speedster but a good plugger of a motor. After the disaster of their 1997-99 3.0 4JX1 motor, isuzu went back to the marvellous old 4JB1 2.8T of the 87-92 era. Great old motor - and they developed that into the Rodeo's 4JH1. Alot better.

Good to get feedback about the Triton 2.5s!! He will not have the cash to afford big maintenance bills.

Colorado became common rail around 2011ish?? - and that's a point because redoing injectors etc on their common rail diesel can be a $4k+ job these days.

I have a 2001 Rodeo with 540 km on the clock. Likely the best vehicle I will ever own.
    May know where there is a 2002 for sale. Will check up and let you know.
    Overkill is still dead.

MSL
    I have owned a ‘97 and ‘98 rodeo, both 2wd, and both with the ever reliable 2.8. The newer one I wrote off in the waihi gorge in 2002 I think. The ‘97 was bought new by my folks, then I owned it, and now my brother in law owns it. It’s done over 500,000km’s of trouble free motoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmwsm and XR500 like this.

I'd rather have a 3.2 mitsi than the 2.5
    The 3.0 Colorado would be a good choice.
    Also wouldn't mind a 3.0 bt50 or ranger.
    As for the 3.2 mitsi, they can be badly in need of a decoke in the intake manifold from the EGR but are a better engine than the sibling 2.8 although if a pajero don't touch a 3.2 pajerò before 2006 as they had a really naff fuel pump that is dear as poison to rebuild and is not trustworthy

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    2011 or older BT50......just flee as fast as you can!!
    Why? Apart from clutches and transmissions, my experience of them is rust and suspension/axle/steering failures are the biggest killers of these vehicles. The engines seem quite a bit more robust than the other options in that era (edit when correctly serviced and fed the required stuff), I have seen one fitted with a custom ecu and hair dryer and remapped to scary numbers. It went through three or four factory clutches before a race-inspired clutch kit was identified and proven to fit. After that went in it took out transmissions as the next weakest point, after that it started on transfer cases!
    mudgripz likes this.

I just sold my 2009 4JJ1 Colorado, great utes, I put a new set of injectors in it but never had a problem with it, ever. Highly recommend, they're pretty easy to modify too if that's his thing. Just be weary that a lot of utes around that age get the speedos unplugged. You could probably get a mint one for that money, ignore the prices in TM, they're not selling. Keep an eye on FB marketplace as well.

I just bought a newer Isuzu Dmax as I wanted to stick with the Isuzu running gear, only changed as I needed an auto for the wife.
    BRADS likes this.

Thanks for that dude - had chat with another mate who sold his 05 Rodeo on at 380k, going well. Nothing much done to motor and drivetrain - said it was very reliable. Moved on to a new D-Max. Isuzu make some good sturdy stuff. Have had 3 in last 20-25 years and the older 2.8Ts were very good. Tough and reliable.

We'll go for a Rodeo/Colorado depending on what comes up - waiting to see one friday if possible.

I had a 2003 3.0TD Rodeo for quite a few years until someone didn’t give way and wrote it off. Not a race car by any means but absolutely bullet proof. I had it for about 6 years or more and other than oil changes and tyres I don’t think anything on it died. I did a fair bit of off roading in it too. My brother had one also and no issues what so ever. Also a couple of mates both had the newer Rodeo (circa 2005) again bullet proof. If mine hadn’t been written off I’d likely still be driving it. A set of mud tyres or ATs and he’d be away laughing. They do suffer a bit from a lack of clearance when compared to a Hilux or ranger of similar era but nothing major.

Good to hear. Another friend told me he had an early 2000s rodeo also (all isuzu except for Holden badge) and sold it at 380ks going well. This is the truck we're looking for here in Cantab now - plenty around. Should serve the youngster well.
    Andrew46826 likes this.