Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By stumpy
  • 2 Post By deepsouthaussie
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: 80 series heater problem

80 series heater problem

Noticed that the heater isn't up to the job lately. Driving back from molesworth this week really brought it home, 2+ hours running and could still hold hands over vents and needed 4 layers on inside the truck.

Don't think it's thermostat or water pump, temp gauge is where it always has been, just under half. Radiator is full as well, could do with a flush though

Did a bit of googling and discovered it may be the heater core is gunked up. Anyone flushed one of these before?

Can someone post a pic of where (if it exist) the tap at the bottom of the radiator is for flushing. Or do I have to disconnect a hose and let it drain out.

Truck is a 1995 80 series landcruiser gx

like with most cars, the heater core gets its fluid from the engine side , find the two rubber pipes that are clamped onto the heater core at the firewall and pull them off , put hose into one side of heater core and see if water comes out the other .... if it does , have a look at flow and make sure its the same , if thats good , check the "valve" or whatever landrover uses to open the circuit up , it will be on one of those rubber hoses , and proberbly have a cable attached to it , make sure all is well in function ... or take of bottm hose of main radiator and flush water through from top hose , ... bearing in mind you could have shit in the water galleries in the motor itself ... the heater systems are pretty basic in most cars . good luck
    Savage1, tetawa and sometimes like this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Had a play with the 'door' opens all the way on the cable and hits the stop. Going to get some pipe and adapter when I go to town next to flush the heater core will probably do the radiator at the same time, waters a nice,shade of brown and not very green!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Had a play with the 'door' opens all the way on the cable and hits the stop. Going to get some pipe and adapter when I go to town next to flush the heater core will probably do the radiator at the same time, waters a nice,shade of brown and not very green!
    Oh thats the give away rusty water, buy some radiator flush too.
    flush out the heater and radiator then refill with radiatorflush and go for a good long drive with heater on max then flush both again, then add antifreeze, most are 50/50 ratio.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cheers Vc will pick some up when next in town! Got antifreeze stocked up living in the snow and all

Go see my brother in-law at Southland radiators when your in Invercargill next. He's a real good bugger..

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Bruce is his name tell him Tim sent ya

veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    Go see my brother in-law at Southland radiators when your in Invercargill next. He's a real good bugger..

Truck is living in Canterbury for the foreseeable future! But thanks for the idea
    deepsouthaussie likes this.