Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Car headlight upgrades

Car headlight upgrades

I have a 2004 Hilux with two dim candles for headlights.

Are there any easy upgrades to allow me to actually see in the dark without compromising my ability to get a WOF?

Bulb upgrades, LED etc?

clean your lights and measure the voltage at the bulbs before doing anything. there are bulb upgrades but converting to LED is an issue as the focal point of the LED stack isnt a nice filament and will alter the beam pattern
    Hayden C likes this.

I recently replaced the reserve bulbs in my 80series, wish I'd done it years ago, got a shock they were $35-40 iirc
    Hayden C likes this.

Have you got sealed beams or semi sealed
    All led bulbs are a no go, even tho some do produce a good beam
    Yet to see a legal led unit as most claim to be
    Konev and Hayden C like this.

Cole
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-m...3723827403.htm

I just put a set of these in my 2003 hilux, made a big difference. Don’t get me wrong, still doesn’t make them like a modern led headlight but it was a big improvement.

First I brought a cheap set of “90/100watt ultra bright” Chinese crap, don’t bother, it was like someone blew one of my candles out!

Headlight doctor to clean the outside will also help.
    Hayden C likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Have you got sealed beams or semi sealed
    All led bulbs are a no go, even tho some do produce a good beam
    Yet to see a legal led unit as most claim to be
    Rectangular 190 x 125mm(ish) semi sealed.

One headlight has a cracked lens so I’m thinking about options to sort the woefully inadequate lighting. It sounds like a replacement unit and a bulb upgrade are ones only options.

Add a pair of LED 'driving lights' switched off the high beam, and a set of 'work lights' or a light bar for when you are off road helps but it doesn't sort the issue of being on rural roads with a reasonable amount of oncoming traffic and being on dip the entire time. With some of the utes it feels like you are trying to look through two toilet rolls, bloody shocking. The earlier versions of the PX ranger had quite good spread of light, then the PX3 rolled out with really narrow headlights and they were in a word total and utter crap. The latest version seems to have gone to a taller headlight for more vertical reflector surface - it might not look as 'cool' in town around all the urban euro handbag cars but at least the damn things work in the rural road environment. Almost need two versions of fronts on cars these days - the one for people that actually drive them and the front for those that want something that looks mean as in the mall carpark.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Lights on my 2017 ranger are worse than my 25yr old bt50 were.
    No.3 likes this.

$100 set of led driving lights....my set has one flood and one spot..the spot is on right and points to white sideline 50 yards ahead..... still get the odd flash light towards me but not many....its much more friendly towards oncoming traffic than most ford rangers or Dmaxs.... in my little four door car the bright leds up high are dazzling to say the least and even worse when they are behind me....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden C View Post
    Rectangular 190 x 125mm(ish) semi sealed.

One headlight has a cracked lens so I’m thinking about options to sort the woefully inadequate lighting. It sounds like a replacement unit and a bulb upgrade are ones only options.
    Can get a few good h4 bulbs nowadays or run a decent led bulb from the likes of narva not some Ali special and swap out for wofs

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Add a pair of LED 'driving lights' switched off the high beam, and a set of 'work lights' or a light bar for when you are off road helps but it doesn't sort the issue of being on rural roads with a reasonable amount of oncoming traffic and being on dip the entire time. With some of the utes it feels like you are trying to look through two toilet rolls, bloody shocking. The earlier versions of the PX ranger had quite good spread of light, then the PX3 rolled out with really narrow headlights and they were in a word total and utter crap. The latest version seems to have gone to a taller headlight for more vertical reflector surface - it might not look as 'cool' in town around all the urban euro handbag cars but at least the damn things work in the rural road environment. Almost need two versions of fronts on cars these days - the one for people that actually drive them and the front for those that want something that looks mean as in the mall carpark.
    just dont use the hibeam wiring to also power the spotlights, or you may damage the original wiring of the ute.
    Sika stag, RUMPY and No.3 like this.

Interesting thread. I have a 2011 Hilux ( bought it a couple of years ago with 6000km on the clock. As new. Only beef is the lights. I put a set of ARB driving lights on it which work when switched on on high beam. Good for open country work although they are that good that road signs become unbearable and when you switch them off for some seconds you think you don’t have lights going at all.
    I would still like to improve the std lights but told that you cannot upgrade to later style bulbs ( LED) as you won’t get a warrant. Any one faced this when upgrading?

Name:  A0547AC2-2A17-4B10-B34A-1374B6C4ACB7.jpeg
Views: 257
Size:  5.01 MB

that hilux already has little driving lights down low.....see if you can tweak the bulbs in them....might be a whole lot more simple fix....and give you good visibility on low beam....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Caretaker
    The 2011 hilux loves 100/90 bulbs in the main headlights

Problem solved
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    that hilux already has little driving lights down low.....see if you can tweak the bulbs in them....might be a whole lot more simple fix....and give you good visibility on low beam....
    Yeah, upscale the fog spots and see how that helps. It doesn't take a huge increase of light on a flood beam to make quite a difference where you need it in front of the car. Also upgrade bulbs will make a difference in terms of dip beam, although with the ARB bat burners fitted everything is going to look like brown shite.