Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Beetroot

Thread: Getting motorcycle re-registered RESULTS!

Getting motorcycle re-registered RESULTS!

I started a thread a few months ago asking about the process for getting a motorbike re-registered after rego lapsing.
    I was pleasantly surprised at how painless the process was.

Basically all I had to do was prove that I owned the bike, take it for a compliance check and pay for the new plate a registration.
    -I bought the bike with no rego, so asked the owner to sign a receipt when I bought it, unfortunately I didn't have the VIN number on the receipt, so had to fill out a statutory declaration which was then signed by a JP.

-The compliance check has to be done by VTNZ and is basically just an in-depth WOF. I actually got mine done by nostalgia motors in Hamilton who ere really good to deal with, they just administer everything and a motorbike VTNZ inspector comes to them.
    As part of the compliance test I had to get a brake declaration done, you have to get a motorbike shop to check all the part numbers and measure the brake discs and pads to make sure it's all original and in spec, usually get charged about $80. But I found the form online and filled it all out by myself, which they accepted.
    The tester failed the bike the first time as the headlight was out of alignment and said that the handle rubber mounts felt a bit worn, but a letter from a motorbike shop saying the mounts were OK satisfied the tester and he passed the bike.

-Lastly, just had to buy 6 month rego, get the bike registered to me and the new number plate. The compliance tester gave me the required form with his parts filled out which was what I needed to get it registered. This can be done at any VTNZ.

The compliance test cost me $200 and the 6 months rego and plate cost me $331, and then I had a road legal bike.
    I had been a a bit worried that I would try and be charged for the couple of years rego the last owner never paid, but there was no mention about it.
    Apparently some VTNZs can be extremely difficult when it comes to the compliance check, but doing it through nostalgia motors was easy.
    I heard after I got it all done that VTNZ in Cambridge is the best to use for bikes as they are really good to deal with, but wasn't a problem for me.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

Ejected
    Bit cheaper than when I did mine. All I did was to it to compliance place with a receipt it was mine and pick it up after. Provided it's not a peice of shit it's really straight forward