Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Landcruiser 4WD in automatic. and a snorkel Question

Landcruiser 4WD in automatic. and a snorkel Question

Hi All, after some advice on automatic gearboxes and how they choose their gears. Ive done plenty of off road driving and river crossing in a manual 94 hilux back in the day but i now have a 2000 vx landcruiser and havent quite gotten my head around how its picking its gears, i can get the engine breaking going down hill but only when im in low range and in low on the gear stick with overdrive off. Its nothing like the freedom i had with my hilux, could basically pick gears and let it crawl without using brake or gas.

when it comes to the cruiser what gear combos should i be using for river crossings and for boggy spots so its not over revving or searching for gears. i just dont feel comfortable when i dont know what gear its going to grab and i dont want to drop it in a river while im trying to figure it out.

also with a slight worry of hijacking my own thread, what are peoples opinion of snorkels? i mainly drive long ks towing but every now ant then ill drive 50k on a gravel road and want the ability to head up a simple river. is there much in the way of added driving noise or should i be ok without the snorkel

Cheers

Low box all the way.

And if you don't want it grabbing a higher gear unexpectedly, just drop it into 2.
    Trout, mudgripz, csmiffy and 1 others like this.

Banned
    I dont know if your cruiser has a hand throttle, if it hasnt fit one set the revs, then as above XR500's post and cross the water

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    In my 2015 Hilux its lox box & 2nd gear on the auto shift, that gives me the option of pulling down to 1st if I have too. This is for river crossings, like the Rakaia etc, not little creeks.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Just put into manual mode.
    Generally low second is good for most obstacles, low first for rock crawling or steep decents.
    Other than that just let it do its thing...it's automatic.
    mudgripz, carlhurley and Mathias like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Has it got the 2nd start button by the gear lever? Is a handy function to save 1 gear change as you take off

Low box,leave in second gear all day in autobox in patrol.Just pull down to 1st if you really in snarley stuff.
    BRADS and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Low box,leave in second gear all day in autobox in patrol.Just pull down to 1st if you really in snarley stuff.
    This. They’re a big vehicle, they sound like they’re working but they really aren’t. Yours is the four speed auto, 2nd low box will take you most places. 1st for the boulder hopping/rough stuff. You’ll soon learn to love it, miles more comfortable than a hilux off road and on it. If you plan on crossing rivers regularly, I’d say invest in a snorkel. I frequently have water over my bonnet when heading up river beds, it just happens sometimes. Make sure it’s installed properly and sealed. Not too noisy on Highway, Landcruisers are pretty well insulated from outside noise anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BRADS and Bol Tackshin like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

A snorkel isn't a bad investment, just remember that they have their limitations, A bow wave over your bonnet can send water down your snorkel and kill an engine pretty quick.
    Don't let a snorkel allow you to think you can ford deep water, you'll start to float as soon as the water is near your bonnet in depth, and current can be deadly.
    An auto offers a lot more control overall if you are getting into rough territory, but as already stated, 2 low for most stuff, 3rd if you are travelling quicker. Drive for the gravel roads.
    Use low range sooner rather than later so you don't overload and overheat your auto. Get out and experiment with the wagon, you;; get the hand of the auto.
    In my auto Prado KZJ78 even if I lock the box in low first, if I am travelling too fast it won't change down and lock up until I get below a certain rev and speed range. Once locked in Low 1st, it will crawl down the steepest hill etc. with virtually no need for braking.
    BRADS likes this.

[QUOTE=ROKTOY;1379632]
    Don't let a snorkel allow you to think you can ford deep water, you'll start to float as soon as the water is near your bonnet in depth, and current can be deadly.

I agree with everything you said except that, either you haven't driven in deep water or south island rivers are different to ours .
    Buy deep I mean well above the bonnet for prolonged periods.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=BRADS;1379663]
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post

I agree with everything you said except that, either you haven't driven in deep water or south island rivers are different to ours .
    Buy deep I mean well above the bonnet for prolonged periods.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Hey Brads, yes, we drive deep South Island rivers quite often on our 4wd trips.
    The rear of my Prado will start floating when the water is nearing the top of my bonnet/bottom of windscreen. Mates 80 series does the same. The station wagon style body offers a decent amount of flotation.
    Hopkins River Jan 2016 front wheels on the bottom, rear end floating, only option was to run downstream with the current as the water was trying to spin the rear end around. Photo was taken after we had crossed the deeper mid section.
    Name:  2016.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  159.6 KB
    JoshC, rugerman, deer243 and 3 others like this.

Geez, looks like you might as well invest in a boat
    ROKTOY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Geez, looks like you might as well invest in a boat
    Got one that fits on the roof. guess that counts?

Snorkels take air higher up, which is generally less dusty and they are a great idea where you are driving lots of kms on metal roads. The air is also supposed to be cooler at head height than at radiator level, but I'm a bit sceptical about whether any actual benefit is gained.

And definitely make sure it is installed properly and sealed!

I have 180 l of fuel tanks under the rear of my wagon. If empty they are going to give you some extra flotation in deeper water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk