Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The new truck (Hilux Surf)

Nice Surf Chris, did you change the ECU to then Cruiser one? Is it a fly by wire or cable throttle?

I am in the process of putting a 1KZ out of a KZN165 into my YN105.

Cheers

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    Seeing the Surfs have surfaced Where is the coolant drain plug on a 3ltr 1kz block?
    Thanks.
    Side/bottom of oil cooler.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Na just used the surf ECU. and swapped the cable with the prado one
    Cheers
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

My old man just priced up some mud tyres for his surf. $320 each D: Guess I better shop around a bit!

I just about got myself stuck on one of the farms I shoot on last weekend. Road tyres don't do shit offroad (hurr-durr). Doesn't matter if you are in low range if you're running on slicks!

Not running big kms. I ran a 4.7V8 Landcruiser for a few months when my D4d Hilux blew up. Monthly fuel bill was a couple of grand. Now running the same year landcruiser with a 1HZ, fuel costs are consistently half of what the V8 was costing me. I do all of my servicing myself and get filters/oil at cost prices, so those costs are irrelevant. Even with road mileage, still cheaper to run the diesel.

Rimfire, you should be able to find a set of 31's for under a grand if you shop around. My latest set of 33's on the landcruiser only cost me $1200.

Quote Originally Posted by kokako View Post
    Side/bottom of oil cooler.
    Thanks there Kokako,appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Not running big kms. I ran a 4.7V8 Landcruiser for a few months when my D4d Hilux blew up. Monthly fuel bill was a couple of grand. Now running the same year landcruiser with a 1HZ, fuel costs are consistently half of what the V8 was costing me. I do all of my servicing myself and get filters/oil at cost prices, so those costs are irrelevant. Even with road mileage, still cheaper to run the diesel.

Rimfire, you should be able to find a set of 31's for under a grand if you shop around. My latest set of 33's on the landcruiser only cost me $1200.
    A couple of grand a month?!? $500 a week? The only V8 I've driven for an extended period of time was a 5.0 commodore and that didn't even come CLOSE to that kind of gas, and I drive about 120km a day.

I'm getting just shy of 700k's out of each tank of diesel in my Surf (3.0 Turbo). I do drive on the motorway a fair amount though. In saying that it's often start/stop traffic.

Cheers for the tyre advice. I'll have to shop around. Will be a few weeks before I've put the dosh aside for them. After buying the thing I'm reluctant to injure my savings any further

Yep do a thousand + kms a week easy, some months a bit less. Winter time is my busiest, did 500kms yesterday just driving around Southland. Chew up the road miles

Well I took the truck down to Taranaki this week. The thing has a problem!

Heading up some of the really steep hill/passing lanes it just dropped all of it's power. Then the check engine light came on. Then it'd come right again.

The guys at Toyota said it's a timing control system malfunction. I'm glad they had the computer to be able to tell me what becuase that's a really useful piece of info...

Anyway I figured maybe the fuel filter was clogged a bit so I put a new one in down there and that alleviated the problem for the most part, but it did happen a couple of times on the way back (but it was more like a small lurch/drop in power every now and then).

Once I filled up again towards the end of the trip I came flying up the bombays in top gear loaded up with people and it went fine... so maybe it was a bad batch of diesel with some shit in it.

The old man is going to check it out this weekend.

Same thing happened to me when BP gave me half a tank full of water.

Almost got stuck in the middle of nowhere while 4wding. So pissed.

Did you open your water trap on the filter? Any water come out?

Chris

Re: The new truck (Hilux Surf)

There's an aussie surf forum with heaps of awesome info on it might be something on there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

This site is good ......... Surf Maintenance
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Yeah I've seen that one thanks Cambo. It's a cool site.

Crnkin yeah this was BP too! I didn't keep the filter so I couldn't check. Stuff driving for 4 and a half hours with a stinky diesel filter in the back. Would have got high on the way home... then again, not if it was half water lol.

She seems alright now. I have run her up and down the bombays with the boat on the back and haven't had it happen again... must have been some dodgey fuel. Hopefully anyway.

If it was a 1kd with direct injection it would have blown.

Lucky

Chris
    veitnamcam and JoshC like this.