Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 50L ish Packpacks

One Planet Extrovert 55l
    Is my favourite pack for the past 18 months
    Add a rifle scabbard and you have a pack that weighs just under 1.4kg but easily strong enough and comfortable enough to take 2-3 days gear plus bring out meat on the way home
    RV1 likes this.

I'd love to see how you guys are doing multi day hunts with a 50ish litre pack. I have a Norix 48l (great pack btw) but couldn't see how I could do more than an overnight once I have my tent roll and sleeping bag attached.

There's no room for excessive food, clothes or meat to bring out.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Spika drover 45l

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    I'd love to see how you guys are doing multi day hunts with a 50ish litre pack. I have a Norix 48l (great pack btw) but couldn't see how I could do more than an overnight once I have my tent roll and sleeping bag attached.

There's no room for excessive food, clothes or meat to bring out.

Used to do one to three day trips heaps with a Twin Needle Mollyme. Have a bit of different gear now but same basic items. Quite a fan of the Cactus Huntaway now, heaps of room in that. People generally carry way too much shit they dont need, especially extra/bulky clothing, and another kiwi hunter thing seems to be lugging bones and skin around.
    Name:  20190331_194913.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  4.65 MB
    Name:  20190331_195405.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  4.51 MB
    Tahr, Trout, BRADS and 3 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Used to do one to three day trips heaps with a Twin Needle Mollyme. Have a bit of different gear now but same basic items. Quite a fan of the Cactus Huntaway now, heaps of room in that. People generally carry way too much shit they dont need, especially extra/bulky clothing, and another kiwi hunter thing seems to be lugging bones and skin around.
    Attachment 239078
    Attachment 239079
    So that pack seems pretty full. Where does your meat go?

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    So that pack seems pretty full. Where does your meat go?

In the rifle shelf
    erniec likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

On that note- TwinNeedle are not too far off releasing the updated version of their Big Molly which I believe is around the 50L mark. Very similar design to the MollyMe.

+ 1 for Cactus Huntaway

I have a 55L hunting pack in stock ready to go if you a medium size back.
    https://www.southernlitepacks.co.nz/product-page/55l-hunting-pack
    Trout and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern lite View Post
    I have a 55L hunting pack in stock ready to go if you a medium size back.
    https://www.southernlitepacks.co.nz/...l-hunting-pack
    These are great. Can hardly fault mine.

The velcro closure is noisy if you want to get a camera or something out and you are watching a deer. But thats minor.

Can carry a good load and easy to wash out. I dont use mine as much as I should because for hacking around it's too good and I dont want to spoil it. Silly of me really.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    These are great. Can hardly fault mine.

The velcro closure is noisy if you want to get a camera or something out and you are watching a deer. But thats minor.

Can carry a good load and easy to wash out. I dont use mine as much as I should because for hacking around it's too good and I dont want to spoil it. Silly of me really.
    I've added an option to the order form to leave the Velcro off now. It's doesn't make too much difference when rolling it up and like you say, it's a pain in the ass when everything is quite.

What sort of weight have you had in yours? I've been around 36kg a few times now and the pack did well, me not so much. But I took a guy out the other day that was collecting his new pack and we got 2 big reds and his pack was 48.9kg when we got back. (I wouldn't recommend that)
    RV1 likes this.

Hey Guys
    Just a thought. Often see people using separate dry bags for every item they are packing. Kinda creates canon balls in the pack. Don't use the stuff sacks for every individual item. Next time try a big inner dry bag that fits your pack. Stuff your sleeping bag, down and clothing, rolled up sleeping pad (wity rubber band) in the base and heavier gear up toward the top. Much more efficient use of space, lighter and quicker to pack.
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern lite View Post
    I've added an option to the order form to leave the Velcro off now. It's doesn't make too much difference when rolling it up and like you say, it's a pain in the ass when everything is quite.

What sort of weight have you had in yours? I've been around 36kg a few times now and the pack did well, me not so much. But I took a guy out the other day that was collecting his new pack and we got 2 big reds and his pack was 48.9kg when we got back. (I wouldn't recommend that)
    Don't know about weight but it's been full of whole back legs and I carried it no problem. Up hill for an hour. Very comfortable. Doesn't pull back on me and sits up on my hips.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Snoppernator View Post
    Hey Guys
    Just a thought. Often see people using separate dry bags for every item they are packing. Kinda creates canon balls in the pack. Don't use the stuff sacks for every individual item. Next time try a big inner dry bag that fits your pack. Stuff your sleeping bag, down and clothing, rolled up sleeping pad (wity rubber band) in the base and heavier gear up toward the top. Much more efficient use of space, lighter and quicker to pack.
    I tend to use a few drydags myself for different things. But find if you don't compress and roll them to tight they work great. It only becomes a problem if you really stuff small ones tight then it gives you the canon balls. Slightly bigger drybags not tight is my go too but thinking of making a large pack liner to give a try when I get some time.

I don’t even bother with a smaller pack now. I just use Cactus BLT. They cinch down bloody small if not loaded up and being quite a tall narrow pack means they’re not too wide when cinched down small. Have no issues in bush, albeit a little noisey. The harness system is bloody comfy, I don’t notice the extra weight.
    Does mean you can fit a power of meat in there though with minimal gear.