Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: aqua shoes for river crossings

MB
    After a trip to the Raukūmaras where I seemed to be crossing a braided river every 5 minutes, I came back intent on finding a good solution. I looked at a kind of wader that you could slip on over your boots, but they were expensive and had bad reviews. On that trip, I got so pissed off taking my boots of all the time, I just wore them for river crossings. It was then I discovered that they got very squeaky when wet.
    Micky Duck and Ranger 888 like this.

@Sika 8
    Gubbas!
    Cheap as chips & lite-weight!

Have you worked out how to size them though? The sizing provided is to go over shoes, so not sure what size to get for my 11.5 US feet as I only want to wear socks or bare feet in them. I like the fact they are super light and pack down flat taking up almost no space in the pack!

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    After a trip to the Raukūmaras where I seemed to be crossing a braided river every 5 minutes, I came back intent on finding a good solution. I looked at a kind of wader that you could slip on over your boots, but they were expensive and had bad reviews. On that trip, I got so pissed off taking my boots of all the time, I just wore them for river crossings. It was then I discovered that they got very squeaky when wet.
    I was looking at over shoe waders too, or something cheap light and disposable.
    The waders were either going to be brilliant or a commercial drowning tool.

I like the idea of the vaccum bags though, didn't think of that

I am 11UK & just bought the XL's as i wear them around camp with socks on normally

Dirt old crocs, wear them around camp/huts . light and stylish as fuck (yeah right)

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    this is why the cullers n meat hunters ended up with bullers with holes in lower bit of sides so water could just come back out again.... combine that with your feet n socks in a plastic bag and your away laughing..... so a bit like the above idea except you have plastic inside your boots.
    Ranger 888 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Some feed back,
    i ended up with the aqua shoes from kmart and rate them 100% they are still in one piece after a week in south island back country and want hesitate to buy another pair.
    Mates took in there dive boots while a little heavier they thought it was a game changer.
    Micky Duck likes this.

And I thought I was the only poofter that didn't like wet feet
    RV1 likes this.

Then there was the hunter who arrived on the river bank, took off his boots, put on his alternative footwear, got half way across the river, dropped one boot and watched it bob off downstream never to be seen again. The former Urewera and Fiordland cullers would be spinning in their graves reading the above comments!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Not just Urewera or Fiorfland cullers spinning in their graves. There’s plenty of people still around that would read this thread with mild amusement including musterers. You suck it up and move on. Either you walked your boots dry or you wasted too much time trying to keep your feet dry. It could be a cnut putting on frozen socks and boots in the morning but.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Not just Urewera or Fiorfland cullers spinning in their graves. There’s plenty of people still around that would read this thread with mild amusement including musterers. You suck it up and move on. Either you walked your boots dry or you wasted too much time trying to keep your feet dry. It could be a cnut putting on frozen socks and boots in the morning but.
    I tip the last of the hot billy water into my already wet boots on frosty mornings.
    woods223 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I tip the last of the hot billy water into my already wet boots on frosty mornings.
    That must make the tea taste terrible!
    erniec and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    That must make the tea taste terrible!
    That only happens if one soaks their socks in the tea billy....I think some of the hunters and trampers who have gone bush and never been found have been guilty of this when their mates catch them at it.
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Then there was the hunter who arrived on the river bank, took off his boots, put on his alternative footwear, got half way across the river, dropped one boot and watched it bob off downstream never to be seen again. The former Urewera and Fiordland cullers would be spinning in their graves reading the above comments!
    I’m pretty sure if the old cullers of the past had the gear available today they would have loved using it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    I’m pretty sure if the old cullers of the past had the gear available today they would have loved using it
    Cullers and hunters of old had gear better than todays: greased Horse Bandages wrapped around ankles and overlaid with oilskin wraps. Heal and toe plates on boots attached with Horse shoe nails and Trikonis on the instep
    woods223 and RV1 like this.