Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mawzer308
  • 2 Post By shift14
  • 1 Post By mawzer308

Thread: Best DWR treatment?

Best DWR treatment?

Gday team. Been a few boring old months on the hunting front and what do you do when youre not out hunting? Thats right, you go through all your stuff a million times, clean stuff, play with stuff, modify stuff, and buy more stuff.
    As part of this I have been thinking I wouldnt mind giving my Tahr anorak and my tent a bit of a blitz with some DWR treatment, tent is fine and my jacket isnt bad either but be nice to know its been done. Whats a good product to use? Can I get an allrounder type product that will do all kinds of fabric or do i need to buy seperately? Tahr is one of the Aegis ones and my tent is Silnylon (I think, the slippery light stuff? Its a Terra Nova if that helps)

The nikwax range works well from my experience
    scottrods likes this.

Do you really want to clog the Gore-Tex on your Swazi up with a fabric treatment?

No, but a proper DWR treatment should coat individual fibres only, then throw it in the wash and it's ready to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    The nikwax range works well from my experience
    On leather maybe but not on a technical fabric

B

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    No, but a proper DWR treatment should coat individual fibres only, then throw it in the wash and it's ready to go again.
    Wash it in the machine on a lukewarm gentle cycle and low spin, bugger all detergent if any.

Put it into the dryer on a low heat gentle tumble setting or hang dry on a decent hanger.

When it's dry put it on and get Mrs Ryan to spray it with Grangers XT Proofer as recommended by Swazi. Available at Bivouac or HnF.

PM me your cell # if you want and I'll flick you a pic of the product. The fabric will the shed water really well.

B
    Smiddy and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shift14 View Post
    On leather maybe but not on a technical fabric

B
    Nikwax is the brand name, they make wash in and spray on treatments for technical fleece/goretex. Look it up sometime.
    erniec likes this.

Breathable gear that's lost its dwr won't breath any more - if the outer fabric is saturated moisture can't pass through, effectively seals it. So yes, goretex needs the dwr refreshed periodically for it to work like it should.