Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best entry level chainsaw

Best entry level chainsaw

Now now team i know this is a controversial subject no trash talking just facts please

Looking at dropping 350-500$ on a entry level saw preferably a 16 inch bar to prune some trees round home and occasional bit of firewood work

Are they all much of muchness or is there a clear winner or should i look at a higher grade 2nd hand unit and what to stick clear of done my dash with the cheapie saws want some quality

northdude
    I bought a budget mculloch for what your doing its been fine had it about 3 years so far next step up is a stihl or a husky

Yup last saw was one but looking for something a bit better been looking at stihl echo and huskys

I can't comment on cheaper saws as I have a good stihl but I did see a new makita advertised recently for that sort of money. I'd look at it, in the cheaper models its probably a good idea to get a reputable brand if you can. Then if it is shit you'll be more likely to have it backed up warranty wise.
    I know makita are known for their petrol powered tools but what they do with power tools is brilliant

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Caretaker

Best entry level chainsaw

Go to mikeschainsawshop.co.nz

(Cheapest gear in NZ)

Husqvarana 235e

16 inch bar

$499

Run premium fuel
    50 to 1 fuel mix with husky XP oil

Keep chain razor sharp and raker height no lower than 18 thou for max chain speed for fastest cutting.

gadgetman, ebf and Toby like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

that's not a bad buy at all...Im a stihl man myself but that's a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Go to mikeschainsawshop.co.nz

(Cheapest gear in NZ)

Husqvarana 235e

16 inch bar

$499

Run premium fuel
    50 to 1 fuel mix with husky XP oil

Keep chain razor sharp and raker height no lower than 18 thou for max chain speed for fastest cutting.

Just don't buy the 236 it's not a husky and is crap,

Iv had a Makita saw with a 16in bar on it & it was a bloody good saw I ended swaping I knw the person that's got it & he more than happy with it I ended up getting another stihl they just have a bit more power ( for the same size saw) than the Makita & as im using it every day it made a difference more so once youd taken the edge of the chain the stihl keeps cutting slowly the Makita just gave up & as im using mine for fencing it always seems to find dirt & old staples lol

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    have a stihl of 32yrs going strong , have a husky of 5yrs so so.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I bought a second hand Stihl MS361 for that money and cannot fault it at all. Good size for me to use all day for firewood. Not sure how easy it would be to find a second hand one for the money but I would rather have a second hand "professional saw" than a cheaper new one. In saying that though the amount of use it would get might not be an issue at all. For me the one I have will last me as it is designed for much harder use.

There is a second hand 024 on trademe but they are getting a bit long in the tooth now but they are a pro saw

Stihl or Husq second hand, I doubt you'd regret it.

I like Stihl.
    southernredneck likes this.

be careful buying a husky from mikes chainsaw shop as they import the huskies themselves and you will not get warranty from a Husqvarna dealer if anything goes wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Stihl or Husq second hand, I doubt you'd regret it.

I like Stihl.
    Hers why you should go for a stihl over a husky.
    The stihl has its clutch and chain brake sealed behind the cover where the drive sprocket protrudes. This means they don't get fouled and get jammed. The huskies have them in the outer cover so get full of oil and sawdust out anything else you cut and can jam. The new huskies have tried top copy the stihl fast release cover that is in the smaller model saws (that don't have the twin nuts to tighten holding the bar on). The huskies have a fold out type tightening handle that is as weak as rheineck and should be scrapped. I had four fire service huskies and two of them were broken, all seas had not even done an hours work.
    The other advantage about having the gear behind the cover is you can put the chain onto the bar and fit them both back onto the saw and tighten bar. The husky, you have put the chain over the sprocket then put the bar inside the chain and try to fit it over the bolts which is a real pain on the ass when your used to the good design of a stihl

Sent from my workbench

And if you apply the chain brake then take the cover and bar off you can't put it back together until you release the chain brake. That isn't easy once the cover is off the machine. I do think the husky is a good saw just a couple things that make the stihl more of a pleasure to use

Sent from my workbench