Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: A better knife sharpener by far...Wicked edge

Well if you want some photos I can send you some pics, I think the ball joints would be the key (not sure if that’s the actual name) and the clamp or vice to hold the knife, if you could make a clamp that does not tighten on just one side, that would be better as this one cants very slightly to one side as half the clamp is fixed and the other half screws tight to hold the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Not on the rods mate, the black bit is moveable, side to the left to reduce angle or to the right to increase angle, then screw to lock in tight with the thumb screw thing (highly technical terms of course), it’s easy to adjust but does take a few seconds to dial in a precise angle, depends how fussy you are.

Thanks.....I was wondering how you would know you were sharpening at say 20 degrees as I didn't see a mark on 'the black bit' to line up with the scale on 'the blue bit'? Sow hat part of the black bit line sup with the scale to actually tell you what angle you are sharpening at?
    Cheers

R93
    Well if you want some photos I can send you some pics, I think the ball joints would be the key (not sure if that’s the actual name) and the clamp or vice to hold the knife, if you could make a clamp that does not tighten on just one side, that would be better as this one cants very slightly to one side as half the clamp is fixed and the other half screws tight to hold the blade.
    Is the clamp not that good mate?
    It is what I hate about the lanskey.
    Get it all lined up at 90°and halfway thru, even tho not applying any real pressure the knife tilts in the clamp.
    Does my head in. Have tried all sort of stuff to grip the blade better but nothing works consistently.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Is the clamp not that good mate?
    It is what I hate about the lanskey.
    Get it all lined up at 90°and halfway thru, even tho not applying any real pressure the knife tilts in the clamp.
    Does my head in. Have tried all sort of stuff to grip the blade better but nothing works consistently.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    The clamp is very good as it holds it tighter than a nuns...well it’s tight, although it can mark your blade if you go too tight, masking tape or chamois will stop that, just on mine it’s very slightly off set, the we130 has the new clamp that is not offset so both sides move in at the same time, better but three times the price, you can buy the newer clamp and retro fit t so I may look at that at some stage, but for now I am happy, I can use the angle cube to adjust to get the right angle on both sides.
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Thanks.....I was wondering how you would know you were sharpening at say 20 degrees as I didn't see a mark on 'the black bit' to line up with the scale on 'the blue bit'? Sow hat part of the black bit line sup with the scale to actually tell you what angle you are sharpening at?
    Cheers
    Um, its not hard, although they say that the lines are just an “indication” read they are inaccurate.
    I use the angle cube, basically I put the blade in the vice, zero the cube, put one of the paddles on the rod and lean that on the blade in the vice, then stick the angle cube on that, it stays in place as it has magnets on it, take a reading, then I move it either in or out until it reads 20 degrees, I then tighten that in to lock it in place and do the same for the other side.
    Works fast easy and accurate.
    Once it’s all locked in I retighten everything and away I go.
    R93 likes this.

I just did my ninth knife (one of the ones I made) today and I have to say this system gets them sharper and with a way better finish than anything I could do by hand, it’s slower than say my scary sharp, but does a much cleaner job and being able to choose what angle I want is nice, also not needing to splash isopropyl alcohol and kerosene all over the stones then clean them with brake cleaner is nice, it’s damn cold at the moment so I can sharpen in the house near the heater, can’t do that in my shed.

why not? even if I don't do it I may come up with at least an idea for the clamp.