Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Garmin inreach messenger

Garmin inreach messenger

Has anyone got one of these and can help me out?
    I recently purchased one and it will send messages out and contacts will receive it. However their replies will not come through at all via satellite?

Waiting on reply from garmin, they've made it quite difficult to access any product support which I'm not impressed with.

What unit?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Do you have it paired with the explore app, or just the unit itself?

Im not impressed with Garmin either. They seem to think that everyone is technology savvy and its only dimwits that cant work it out. Ive spent 6 months procrastinating over signing in to a new Garmin package. Am at the stage of going old school and saying to hell with it.
    Gkp likes this.

I can't offer any specific advise but there might be a YouTube tutorial that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    What unit?
    The unit is called an inreach messenger, little square shaped unit.

I've paired it with the new messenger app, but doesn't matter if it's paired or not it still won't receive anything (I've tried both ways)

if you bought it from a store..take it back and get it sorted BY THEM while you wait..... funny watching NZHunter today on demand,one of the adds was for the new starlink/cell coverage and in next segment Willy did speil on the garmins and epirb..... garmin will need to up their game if the new system is even half as good as planned.
    Nugget connaisseur likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

This is one thing I don't like about InReach - it's a great step up over no communication and Sat phones with their issues (access to satellites in steep country, $10+/min costs) but the tech side of it with how InReach devices are configured I think is a bit risky to be able to rely on it. The main issue is the system is just different to what most people are using at the other end, a smart phone which is set up with it's own unique ID set in the IMEI number on the Telco network. The InReach is identified by it's account setup in Garmin's system which is different and requires the message to effectively be received by Garmin, identified as an InReach message going to account xxxxx and then matched up to the correct device attached to that account before being sent on. It also requires a message to go out to that device first otherwise the Garmin system struggles to identify which account and device it needs to go to - this is in effect a translation step or a handshake between the two network types to get them both talking nicely. The issue in the one I had to use was in the account setup and it got handed to someone else to fix which I recommend (if it's an option haha).

Try the following though:

https://support.garmin.com/en-NZ/?fa...EJ2e3RodPc3ad8
    https://support.garmin.com/en-NZ/?fa...LC8KhFNWJEVPI7
    Micky Duck and Husky1600#2 like this.

You probably already know this,........ there is a specified "link" in the recieved message you have to send your message back through. If you just hit the reply button,, message will not be forwarded to you...
    Micky Duck and No.3 like this.

@Husky1600#2 I said to Malcolm last year we had a inreach, he said don't bother messaging him i will pick you up at x date and x time
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matagouri View Post
    You probably already know this,........ there is a specified "link" in the recieved message you have to send your message back through. If you just hit the reply button,, message will not be forwarded to you...
    Yes have tried that, from the screen that link takes you to I get an error message and it fails to send

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny White Boy View Post
    Yes have tried that, from the screen that link takes you to I get an error message and it fails to send
    Sounds like an account setup issue with your Garmin account, it's probably similar to what went pear shaped with the unit I had to use. I never had the pleasure of trying to reply to it, was supposed to be forwarding updates on progress out to the manager. Matagouri is correct though, the message goes out with a link that you follow to reply on garmin's service portal and that junction between the service types is where I had the issue as well. The outgoing message didn't arrive correctly, and the reply service failed with an error message.

By the time they got it sorted we did a few test messages but were working back in cell service so the InReach system was no longer required.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have texted my wife on our SAR inreaches before and she just texted me back from her phone,no special portals or anything she just hit reply.
    Micky Duck and EmpireSafaris like this.

Gkp
    Mine was a complete fck around. To the level it was not reliable In the hills so I ditched it.