Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: home made fire ligthers could save your life in the bush

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Looks bloody good.

I like the idea of stuffing it into a plastic straw.

Char Cloth will easily take a spark and burn good too.

Char cloth is easy to make as well, sealed into a plastic bag with a lighter and or a magnesium stick and you'll always have a source to start a fire.

Cheers
    Pete
    yep i use char cloth a lot as you cant use firelighters in comps at the club most shoots we have a fire lighting comp just for fun but I practice for them as I enjoy doing them

the issue with char cloth is it only smolders and you need to parcel it up in tinder and blow it to a flame not a hard job if your tinder is dry but if its slightly damp that's when you run into issues still do able if you know were to find try tinder but I prefer something that goes from spark directly to flame for the real world
    cheers
    darryn

Rambo me old mate, try Vicks vapour rub. Works better than Vaseline.
    I have about 8 cotton balls rubbed with Vicks in a small M&M container. They light well with a flint and burn a lot better and longer than Vaseline.
    Guess it will be a bonus if a blocked nose in the bush or hut at night

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    yep i use char cloth a lot as you cant use firelighters in comps at the club most shoots we have a fire lighting comp just for fun but I practice for them as I enjoy doing them

the issue with char cloth is it only smolders and you need to parcel it up in tinder and blow it to a flame not a hard job if your tinder is dry but if its slightly damp that's when you run into issues still do able if you know were to find try tinder but I prefer something that goes from spark directly to flame for the real world
    cheers
    darryn
    I'm learning heaps here. What is char cloth though? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Char cloth is cotton cloth old sheets or what have you as long as they are 100%cotton you need to burn the cloth with out letting it catch fire i use an old tobacco tin with a very small hole drilled in the top (to let the gas out but not to let enough air in to catch fire) then heat it on the gas stove you will see smoke come out the hole in the top light this with a lighter the gas comeing out of the top will burn like a candle when it goes out you know your char cloth is done.... you can do it with a coke can just shove the cloth in through the hole in the top and use that as the gas hole aswell then cut the can open when done you can do all of the above on the campfire aswell i just use gas coz im lazy

The rezulting product is dark black very light and fragile it takes a spark very easyly then will smolder for a good 10mins but this in a bundle of tinder and blow it till you get flame pretty easy to do with practice video on how its done https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8JTsS1SQXAI
    He also has a video on how to make the stuff
    Last edited by rambo-6mmrem; 01-06-2016 at 12:52 AM.
    tiroatedson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Rambo me old mate, try Vicks vapour rub. Works better than Vaseline.
    I have about 8 cotton balls rubbed with Vicks in a small M&M container. They light well with a flint and burn a lot better and longer than Vaseline.
    Guess it will be a bonus if a blocked nose in the bush or hut at night
    I'm sure it would Steve next time we have some ill try it out

something else you guys might be interested in is something called fat wood works a lot the same as pitch pine but its home made
    basically get some very dry untreated pine melt down some parrfin wax candle wax you could use lard or pine resin also
    once melted soak small pieces of the wood for 10 or 15 mins in the molten wax fat or what ever your using take out and let cool
    this stuff burns like stink but it needs a flame to start (not much of one a couple of secs on a flame)
    ive boiled water in less than 1 1/2 mins with this shit just make sure your water in in a sealed container coz it smokes like shit and taints ya water