Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Knives with both serated and smooth blades.

Knives with both serated and smooth blades.

I'm casually looking at a few different folding knives and am.seeing allot of knives with 2 styles of blade in one. Do any of you guys use that style of knife?

What are its pros/cons?
    Would you reccomend?
    Is it a pain to sharpen and maintain?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

blades with serrations on blades towards the handles were not invented by hunters -those making them are not hunters - bloody useless- in fact worse they are just bloody mongrel pricks of things - try skinning a deer or goat with one - when you run the blade upside down to open up say a back leg the serration stops the blade from doing its job - the skin and hair jam up on the serration so you only effectively have a small amount of normal bade to work with - they will not run down the leg like a decent sharp knife will - useless abominations- to be seriously avoided at all cost
    Tahr, Brakelie, Ned and 2 others like this.

Thats kinda what i thought but tbh, i dont know my elbow from my asshole.

I got given one with serrations lower end of blade last year and having tried one years before and saying bullshit I thought just chuck it in tractor bag - may come in handy if I need to cut baling twine or plastic wrap or grass out of machinery as one does on a regular basis driving for silage hay contractor - it was completely bloody useless for the job - the serrations would not cut any of that cleanly

I have the opportunity to buy milwaukee gear pretty cheap for what it is. They do a folder with one of these blades and a screw driver attachment, and i thought it may be more handy than a multi tool in the pack. That or a total gimic.

I carry both a "plain" blade and a serrated blade for hunting. The serrated blade is excellent for going through joints or removing a head or just general purpose cutting rope etc. I keep the other one for skinning/boning so it stays sharp.
    I have a plain/serrated combo folder as my EDC. Best of both worlds when you abuse it a bit.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MB
    A bit off topic, but I've added a serrated blade to my fish filleting collection. I use it to cut skin and bone and reserve the filleting knife for actual filleting. It saves wear and tear on the filleting knife which has a pretty fine edge, so less maintenance.
    Shearer likes this.

I have one. I think it depends what you want to do with it. For hunting/skinning etc serrated is a pain in the arse. For cutting plastic packing tape/packaging, rope etc serrated is awesome.
    Or, get one of these and have all the bases covered!

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    Scouser, Shearer, Ned and 1 others like this.

Most blokes struggle to sharpen a serrated blade is another thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    If you want a saw blade buy a saw
    RV1 and Barry the hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I carry both a "plain" blade and a serrated blade for hunting. The serrated blade is excellent for going through joints or removing a head or just general purpose cutting rope etc. I keep the other one for skinning/boning so it stays sharp.
    I have a plain/serrated combo folder as my EDC. Best of both worlds when you abuse it a bit.
    Yeah i was concidering it for edc but worried it will be too big for edc. And if it is edc it will come hunting with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    Yeah i was concidering it for edc but worried it will be too big for edc. And if it is edc it will come hunting with me.

My EDC is a cheap H&F giveaway Gerber with a 3.5" blade. It has had a thrashing for the last 4 years (apart from 6 months when I lost it) and it does what I need it to.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by sportco62 View Post
    If you want a saw blade buy a saw
    thank my good man some common sense at last scholar and gentleman you are

Ive never seen one not end up with the serrations ground off.
    mikee, Micky Duck, RV1 and 1 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

hunting n fishing are giving away a gerber with just that blade AGAIN this year...I had two..gave one to mate for his SAR pack and I kept the other but ground out the serations...I BELIEVE it has its origins in rescue work as they are awesome for the likes of seatbelts or rope..I have added them with a chainsaw file to cheap knife years back for just that reason..but agree for normal work you just have shorter usable blade.
    75/15/10 black powder matters