Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Post hole borer recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    A big post driver can drive a long pole if you dig the first bit. I have driven 14 foot posts in the past. If a contractor can knock them in I would do go that way. How high do you need the lean-to ?
    Can drive even taller ones if you put the tractor on a truck deck - seen that done.
    rugerman and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600#2 View Post
    Can drive even taller ones if you put the tractor on a truck deck - seen that done.
    There's an easier way, drive a decent size (a wee bit bigger than you final post) 6-8' post first, pull it out once you get it 4' in (in really hard going pull it out after 2-3' - reduces the strain on the gear) and you've got a pilot hole. I can get 4.8M post in with my 3.6M Kinghitter using this approach, and it's safer, once the post is in its pilot hole it can't fall over and clobber someone.
    striker and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    A big post driver can drive a long pole if you dig the first bit. I have driven 14 foot posts in the past. If a contractor can knock them in I would do go that way. How high do you need the lean-to ?
    It'd need to be about 2.5m I guess. It's a mid size tractor and I don't want to be crouching down when I'm getting on and off it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    It'd need to be about 2.5m I guess. It's a mid size tractor and I don't want to be crouching down when I'm getting on and off it.
    Piece of cake then with post driver. Deer strainers come in 3.6m and poles at 4.2 and more. We did a tin fence with lean-to shed twenty odd metres long with 3.5 m wide and 2.8 high forklift bays for pallet storage. Worked very well. Digging and concreting is a chore compared to getting them driven

The old "rule of thumb" for driven shed poles was 1.2M inbedment in good ground . . . .

Sounds a more desirable option then, at least for the poleshed

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Sounds a more desirable option then, at least for the poleshed
    I would hire one and try it out - that way you can assess how you handle it based on how many CC it is
    paremata likes this.

I bought the single 200mm borer from the Tool Shed. I got it to do my fence so wasn’t looking for super quality. I have been extremely impressed to be honest. It was only a couple of hundred from memory. It’s now done my 50m of fence, my 50m2 deck and about 100m of fencing for mates. Still going strong. I don’t know how it would last over years, but certainly beats hiring one. I found it has plenty of grunt, if it hits a decent tree root you best be holding on strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    I bought the single 200mm borer from the Tool Shed. I got it to do my fence so wasn’t looking for super quality. I have been extremely impressed to be honest. It was only a couple of hundred from memory. It’s now done my 50m of fence, my 50m2 deck and about 100m of fencing for mates. Still going strong. I don’t know how it would last over years, but certainly beats hiring one. I found it has plenty of grunt, if it hits a decent tree root you best be holding on strong!
    good idea hiring these days not that cheap and there will be a warranty