Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By BRADS

Thread: Question for Cactus Rain Jacket owners - does it soften with use?

Question for Cactus Rain Jacket owners - does it soften with use?

I'm in the process upgrading my wet weather gear and have narrowed my selection to either a Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia or a Cactus Rain Jacket. Tried both on in the local stores yesterday so could get a decent comparison between the two in terms of comfort, size and flexibility. Both jackets are at seeming opposite ends of the softness scale.

The Cactus certainly felt more rigid and stiff compared to the Hydrophobia. Does anyone who uses a cactus rain jacket or mountain jacket have any real world experience in whether the jackets soften a bit with use?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    I'm in the process upgrading my wet weather gear and have narrowed my selection to either a Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia or a Cactus Rain Jacket. Tried both on in the local stores yesterday so could get a decent comparison between the two in terms of comfort, size and flexibility. Both jackets are at seeming opposite ends of the softness scale.

The Cactus certainly felt more rigid and stiff compared to the Hydrophobia. Does anyone who uses a cactus rain jacket or mountain jacket have any real world experience in whether the jackets soften a bit with use?
    Been using them on the farm for maybe 5 years now, the best coats hands down.
    They don't really get any softer but when there wet they do, you definitely don't notice there stiff when you're wearing it at work if that helps.
    They are very hard wearing, certainly no signs of holes or wear, one of the few coats that you won't actually get wet in.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Yup as above. Pretty stiff when dry after 5years but still waterproof. Only downside is they are pretty heavy.

Thanks that's good to know. I'm not overly concerned by weight as my current 'rain jacket' is a Hunters Element Odyssey 2021, and tips the scales at 1130g. I don't have an actual weight for the cactus jacket in the size I want, but a search on the net shows that a Medium sized Hunters Element Odyssey comes in at 950gms and the Large sized Cactus Rain Jacket is 970gms. I would think the Cactus jacket would pack down to about the same size (I tested the pack down ability in the shop - would make a nice pillow!) and weight, possibly the cactus might be a little lighter than my current jacket.

give cactus a call, i have always found them helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    give cactus a call, i have always found them helpful
    They certainly are helpful. I have found them much more responsive than some of the bigger players. Great service gets repeat business in my books!

MSL
    Hopefully the quality is the same as when they made the jackets here in nz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The earth sea sky is also an awesome coat.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk